Chapter 25

...

Katherine's P.O.V.

"I uh... kinda-ran-away-from-
home." He mumbled quickly.

"You did what?!" I yelled at him. "Are you out of your mind?! Why did you do that?!"

"Well, for starters, our parents didn't want me to go work outside our town." He started and I sighed loudly.

So the usual.

"And?" I urged him to continue.

"Mom wanted me to marry a daughter from her friend's friend. I don't even know who she is." He added in annoyance.

Oh. So double the usual. Nice.

"So they basically did the same thing they did to Kate." Lyla concluded.

"Yup." Matthew confirmed.

"Oh how lovely." She said sarcastically.

I felt a tap on my shoulder, so I turned around and saw three confused faces.

"What are you talking about? What same thing?" Draco asked.

"My parents didn't want me to go to college and get a job. They wanted to marry me off right after high school to a dad's friend's son, but I ran away right after I graduated." I explained.

"Well I'm glad you did that. Imagine us having to get rid of your husband." Draco joked.

I glared at him.

"Why would you need to get rid of him?" Matthew asked in confusion.

Ah shit.

"It's just-"

But Kayda's yelling interrupted me.

"Guys!" She yelled from the hallway. "What are you doing? We have all of this to move and you're just stan-"

She stopped talking the moment her eyes landed on Matthew. Her face lit up and her eyes sparkled. I looked at Matthew and he had the same expression.

What's happening to them?

Kayda quickly ran to us and stopped right in front of Matthew.

"Hi! I'm Kayda." She said cheerfully and extended her hand toward him.

"I'm Matthew?" He said in confusion and shook her hand.

"My younger brother." I added, because I don't think Matthew's brain can currently form complete sentences.

Lyla nudged me and I looked at her only to see her looking at me with a knowing smirk and wiggling eyebrows.

So she's thinking the same thing.

Kayda whipped her head towards me and her eyes grew in surprise.

"Really?!" She squealed excitedly and started to jump.

I looked at her in confusion.

"What?" I asked.

But she ignored my question and pulled Matthew in a hug. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped.

What is she doing?!

"Uhh..." Matthew said awkwardly.

Kayda pulled away and placed her hands on Matthew's cheeks. She looked at him for a few seconds and then turned her head to look at us.

"Uh Kayda... Maybe you should let the poor boy g-"

"He's my mate." She said out of nowhere.

There was a silence for a few seconds and then Matthew started to talk.