Chapter 6

Callie's P.O.V:

"Come on, Cal, it will be fun. It's New Year's Eve, besides, they're going to have Karaoke. What could be more fun than that?"

"Doug, I can't. I have to get this sound board fixed otherwise it's going to put us behind on schedule,"

"It's one night, Callie. It will be here first thing in the morning," Wish he would lay off. He knows how important it is to get this C.D done so that way our clients can get their album released, but he just doesn't get it.

"Doug, I wish I could. Seriously. But this needs to be done. Tell you what, you go ahead and go, and I'll meet you there if it's not too late,"

"Fine," He says, standing up from his seat next to me in the sound booth, "You need to night out. You have been working day and night on this album and it wouldn't hurt for you to take a break. But what do I know?" He goes to walk towards the door.

"I'm sorry, Doug," I say, trying to apologize. Without looking at him, I know he's shaking his head in disappointment.

"Yeah, so am I," he says, "Look, I know that you love your job so much, and I know you love the fact you love watching artists succeed with us, but you need to have time to yourself. Stop working so much and just be young,"

"Okay fine, if I go out tonight, you get to come first thing in the morning to fix the damn soundboard,"

"Fine by me," he replies. I can hear the smile behind his words. He knows he's won this one. But he's definitely not going to like me tomorrow. I grab my wallet off the sound table, then follow Doug out the door.

As we walk into the establishment, it was already busy. Everyone was dancing and enjoying the music before karaoke started. Nothing like walking into a crowded bar and being met with nothing but the smell of alcohol and cigarettes.

"Dude, this was a bad idea, I mean look at this place..." I complain, using my hand to point around the place.

"Oh, It's New Year's Eve. Stop bitching and enjoy yourself. If it makes you feel better, I'll buy you your first drink," he says to me, walking further into the bar. We walked to the bar to order our drinks. As many people there was, I know I was going to need something hard to get through the night. I look around to see if I see familiar faces. Not paying much attention, I feel a tap on my right shoulder.

It was Doug trying to get my attention.

"What are you drinking?" he asks.

"Umm..I'll take a Jack and Coke with a double shot," I say to him before turning my attention back to the crowd. Looking around, I see couples out on the dance floor and a few others snuggled up in the corner in the back.

"You ready?" Doug asks, handing me the drink I ordered.

"Yeah," I say, "But can we just stand up here. I don't want to fight the crowd tonight trying to find a seat,"

"Yeah, sure," he says. We just stand there, watching the crowd before the D.J announces that it's time for karaoke to start.

"You going to sing tonight?" Doug asks me. I haven't sung in so long. Probably not since I was a kid. I used to sing all the time when my mom was around, but ever since she left, I just stopped all of a sudden.

"I don't think so," I say to him, taking a sip of my drink.

"Come on, Cal. It will be fun. Besides, you may find a hottie to sing with,"

"That's not why I am here, Doug," I snap, "I'm here because you drug my ass out even though I wanted to stay back and work,"

"There's more important things in life than just work, Callie. You can't spend all your time at the studio,"

"Why not? It's my studio. I own the place,"

"You don't have to remind," he says, "I just thought it would be nice for you to get out a little bit. Have a great time,"

"Yeah, well, right now, I'm having a shitty time," I take one last drink of my jack and coke, then bolt in the direction of the bathroom.

When I got back to the bar finally, they were finally starting the karaoke. When I looked over at Doug, he was unable to make eye contact with me, which told me he was up to something.

"What?"

"Nothing," he says with a smirk.

"What did you do, Doug?" I ask him impatiently.

"I signed you up to sing," he says, busting into a fit of laughter.

"You did what?" I snarl. I can't believe he would do this, after I told him I wasn't singing.

"I signed you up for a duet," he was still smiling.

"Why would you do that? After I specifically said I'm not singing,"

"God, Callie, I was just trying to do you a favor. Lighten up a little bit," Lighten up? How was I supposed to lighten up when he did something I said wasn't doing behind my back? I took a huge sip of my drink to keep myself from punching my best friend and business partner right in the damn throat, "God, you women don't appreciate a thing a man does," He grabs his drink and walks away into the crowd.

*Sorry if the chapter was a little boring for Callie's P.O.V. But next she will be meeting Arizona.