Chapter Thirty Nine: Fear

We spent the month of May studying for our O.W.L.s exams and training together. I knew what my new fear was. It wasn't Mr. Crouch. It was death. It was confirmed that he was dead and there was an investigation. Draco would console me when I started panicking, he tried to keep my mind off of the incident.

          Fleur and I would train as well. She felt in debt to me because I saved her sister. She taught me new spells that were advanced and after a couple weeks, she had to train alone now. I confessed to her that I didn't want to win. She was like an older sister to me.

          She was shocked, "Mei? Are you giving up?"

          I started to cry, "I am afraid of death. I just want to live. People have died and I don't want to win, I just want to survive."

          She hugged me, "Don't cry. I'm sorry. I had forgotten you're only fourteen."

          She wiped my tears, "I promise I will try to win and I will try to keep you safe if we run into each other."

          I hugged her, "Please win, Fleur."

          At the start of June, I finally saw Charlie. He looked awful and hurt. We spent time in Hagrid's hut. I patched his face and his bruises were sensitive. It made me happy seeing him wear the necklace. He told me he kept the rose at the Burrow in his room. He couldn't tell me anything about the task and I didn't ask.

          "Charlie?" I asked.

          "Hmm?" he hummed as he braided my hair.

          "Is it normal to fear death?" I asked and told him what I saw.

          He hugged me from behind, "That should be a normal reaction. People can go mad if they were in your shoes. It's not a weakness."

          I was quiet and Bill came in, surprised to see me.

          "Mei, why are you alone with him?" he asked as he came in.

          I laughed, "Bill, maybe you can help too."

          I told him everything and he was quiet.

          "Death is natural. It is also unexpected. For your first encounter, there's no shame how you reacted. Your body knew you weren't ready and protected you." he explained, "Your body has a natural fight or flight response. I heard you can have a temper but that's defending yourself and the people you care about. I think because it was so unexpected, your body chose flight. Had you fought, you would've investigated."

          The final task was in three weeks and I was terrified. Draco's birthday was on the fifth and I didn't know what to get him. I can't give him any more rings and he doesn't wear watches. I thought about a possibility and ran with it. It was a black leather watch and it was an all black watch. I thought it looked very handsome and he is also very handsome. I got it for him and in my greenhouse, I sang him happy birthday and I made him a small cake for us to share. He loved his gift and it looked wonderful on him. On the back, 'Love, Mei' was engraved. His birthday helped take my mind off of the last task and I began to want more time with Draco every day.