Chapter 14: A fool's deception

It has been 2 hours since Uesugi and Hinata left for the surveillance, and I can't help but feel utter uneasiness.

Hinata-san, why are you not returning yet?

My body starts to feel heavy as my worry grows substantial.

Moments later I can finally hear footsteps that seem to be approaching the direction of the base.

Could it be her?

I ran towards the person as soon as I started hearing the sound of footsteps.

"HINATA-CHAN!" I shouted

Upon running towards the direction my expectations were shattered as the person was finally revealed in the picture.

"Uesugi?"

The sight of a calm man was what met with my eyes.

I don't see any signs of him being exhausted whatsoever, and he seemed oblivious by the fact that Hinata is already nowhere to be seen.

"Uesugi..where is Hinata?" I asked him gently.

He then responded in a non empathetic fashion, like usual.

"I lost her in the woods." He bluntly revealed.

"Lost? LOST HER IN THE WOODS?!" I angrily shouted.

"I tried searching for her for quite a while but she was nowhere to be seen."

"YOU IDIOT! DID YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU HAVE JUST DONE?! YOU DOOMED HINATA-CHAN LEAVING HER ALL ALONE IN THERE?! DID YOU REALIZE THAT BEING IN A FOREST ALONE IS HER BIGGEST FEAR? HOW COULD YOU JUST LEAVE HER ALONE LIKE THAT-"

"Why are you acting like that Kaguya-san?" Uesugi asked with clear suspicions in his eyes.

"What are you on about?! You are the one at fault here leaving Hinata-chan all alone there in the dark and chilling forest."

"I already told you, I was doing my best trying to look for Hinata when I lost track of her."

"You are a liar...How could you just lose sight of her that easily?! You are one irresponsible man."

"What seems to be happening here?" Kiba who came in to the picture asked.

To which I responded.

"H-Hinata-san is lost."

The sight of both a fearful and worried man was displayed on the face of Kiba.

"Hinata-san..is lost?" he worriedly asked.

"Yes, and it is because of this guy." I answered all while pointing at Uesugi.

"The one at fault here...is Uesugi?" Kiba tried to process what is happening.

Jin then revealed himself with the same worried look on his face as Kiba.

"Uesugi-san, is that true?" Jin asked

Uesugi who looked unaffected by what just happened simply answered.

"I guess that's how you can portray it."

"YOU BASTARD!" I angrily shouted as I prepared to slap his face.

The anger I am feeling is what filled my mind, Hinata was one of my best friends in the academy, I knew everything about her, most especially her fear of the forest. The fact that Kiba wanted her to assist this scumbag man made me pessimistic, and it turned out to be how I expected it to happen.

*SLAP*

The sound of my slap hitting his face echoed on our class base.

"What the hell was that?" a classmate of mine asked.