6.

Shamir Miles

June 13, 2023
Cemetery
~~~

I stepped out the car clutching my phone in my hand. People were standing around further under the trees, so I closed my car door making my way towards them. I put my head down avoiding eye contact with everyone. I was only here to support Deonté because he wasn't taking Robin death well.

I stood back scanning the crowd of people until my eyes landed on Dee. I excused myself walking past people until made my way under the tent with him.

"Hey man." Dee spoke as I took the empty seat next to him. His eyes were puffy and he looked like he was going through it. I hated seeing my bro like this, it fucked me up. I leaned over pulling him into a hug, and he was so tense, felt like this nigga needed it.

"I'm sorry man."

He began to cry and I continued to hug him tightly. I hated shit like this, cause I never knew what to do or say. The only thing I could do right now is be here and I'm pretty sure he was okay with that.

I stared at the rose gold colored casket as Dee continued crying in my arms. My eyes scanned the crowd of people briefly landing on Alexis and Sheree. I knew this was killing them, she was they best friend. I shifted my eyes to the ground as the ceremony began to start.

30 minutes later.

"You hungry?" I asked Dee as I held him up walking him towards my car. He didn't say anything, he just dragged himself along as if he was drowsy. I sighed unlocking my car doors before opening the backseat. I helped him get in before closing and locking it back.

"Sha."

I looked back to see Alexis standing there teary eyed.

"Yeah?" I cleared my throat looking down.

"I need you."

"How'd you get here?" I asked as tears began to run down her face again.

"Sheree."

"Come on." I nodded my head causing her to come walk into my embrace. I pecked her lips hugging her tightly. "Let's go."
~~~

I walked into my apartment with Alexis right behind me. She took her shoes off at the door before closing it behind herself. I walked into the bedroom taking my shoes off and changing into nothing but some basketball shorts. I sat down on the bed watching as Alexis came in. She slipped out of her dress and heels putting on one of my hoodies and that's it.

"I hope Deonté is okay." Alexis sniffled snuggling up against me. We had dropped him off at his parents house just a few minutes ago. I didn't wanna take him home just yet since he lived with Robin and I'm pretty sure her stuff is still there. He just ain't in the right state of mind to be home alone even though he begged me to take him there.

"Me too." I threw my arm behind my head staring at the blank television screen. "I'm so tired."

"I bet, get you some rest then." Alexis looked up from my chest.

"I can't sleep." I mentioned.

"What's the matter?" She propped her head up with one elbow.

I hesitated before opening my mouth. I didn't wanna bring up the situation at the party just to get blamed again for killing that nigga. I've been ridiculed enough by Kenzie and Quez, I don't have time to hear that the shit is all my fault. I'm still finding ways to cope with the shit myself.

"Sha?"

"Remember the night of the party? I was one of the shooters and I um, I killed that nigga Ty that was on the news." I explained and she sat still for a moment before sitting all the way up. "Before you say anything, I only did it because he came towards me with a gun himself. I don't know if he was aiming for me or Q, but I shot and killed him."