Chapter 50: Joseph Flores

I've been keeping an eye on Veronica these last two days for any signs of betrayal.

So far she's done nothing but sleep and explore our new location. Even though I forced her to turn off her humanity I still can't let down my guard. 

"Veronica can you help me with something," I say and she quickly walks up the stairs saying, "do I have a choice" clearly her sass stayed.

I walk over to the table dedicated to witchcraft that I made. 

"Raw power is good and all but we would be able to get so much done if I get a grimoire to teach me dark magic spells and incantations," I say as she walks over to the table looking at all the books and pictures.

She points to my abuela's grimoire while saying, "doesn't that have spells?" Maybe I should educate her a little more later on.

"No I looked, nothing on dark magic which is why I located the resting places of the only dark witch, it's not too far out," I say and she looks at me intrigued. 

We walk to the car and when we get inside Veronica asks "if you know where it is why bring me?" And I look at her with bliss.

"You can't die and it's said that their resting place is guarded with magic which I can handle but the traps, that's all you," I say giving a wink and she rolls her eyes and we set off.

Once we get there Veronica immediately has something to say. "Another cemetery? Really" she says with an irritated tone.

I get out of the car saying, "at least it's nicer and to add to that we're basically grave robbing" I lead the way in and take in the surroundings. 

I tell her what we should be looking for, it should be a tomb-like figure that is secluded. We split up to speed up our search.

An hour passes and I begin to get frustrated and it doesn't help that the grave I'm looking at says, "you always shine bright so just head for the light" I destroyed it.

Walking around more I realize that I underestimated the size of this cemetery. I hear Veronica yell my name and I run over to her.

She points at a tomb all the way in the forest behind the cemetery, how come we didn't see this earlier.

She begins walking toward it and I stop her, "look around, it's surrounded by trees which means..." I say waiting for her to finish the sentence.

"It means that the traps are made of wood," she says and I slow clap for her.

I throw rocks and sticks as we walk forwards setting off the traps and we finally make it to the entrance.

Looking inside for anything unusual I push Veronica forward which sets off a trap that shot a hook hitting her.

I start laughing as she pulls the hook out and mocks me. I figured that was the last trap considering that this place is old.

We get closer and I see the grimoire. I also see that it's protected by ward magic, it doesn't look complicated.

I walk up to it, analyze it for a minute, and take out a string that brought the ward down. Grabbing the grimoire I open it and quickly burn it.

"Why did you do that?" Veronica says looking at me pissed and I've just had enough of this place.

"Now I know that there isn't a grimoire for dark magic, now it all makes sense now," I say walking out and heading to the car. 

I guess there was a reason why everyone says dark magic is a manifestation of power, it's cause it has no spells, it can do anything and be anything.