Chapter 74

Sean's POV

Star was lying on a stone table, her face pale, body so still it appeared she wasn't breathing. A large shadow approached the table hovering a hand over her chest. He began chanting as her chest began to glow. I watched in horror as the stone perforated her chest. It appeared to have tendrils wrapped around it as it hovered above her unmoving body. The creature leaned over and ran its tongue across the stone, making it darken, then thrust it back into her chest. She gasped as her eyes flew open, but didn't move. "My shadow will consume you from the inside, Ylfa. Return to me if you wish to live." I could see the tears streaming down her face as the scene began to vanish.

I bolted up in the bed, screaming until I felt Owen's arms wrap around me. "Sean, Sean, what happened, what's wrong?" he kept saying, trying to calm me.

Tears were streaming down my face as I tried to speak. It was at that moment that we heard Eveleen's screams and both ran for the stairs.

Everyone was crowded in or near the room as Victor held her, wrapping her in soft flames as he rocked her. As if she sensed my presence, she looked up at me. At that moment I knew we had both seen the same vision. The only question is, was it a premonition, or was it something else.

"Owen, have everyone come into the room. We need a family meeting now. It can't wait," I said quietly. He nodded and motioned for everyone to come in. They piled in, some in chairs, others on the floor or bed. I climbed up next to Victor and Star. I needed to be close to her, to touch her and make sure she was here. As if Victor could sense my anxiety, he placed her in my arms.

"Star, was that something that was to come, or did that really just happen to you?" She pulled back her shirt to show the black tendrils snaking across her breasts and sobbed as she buried her face in my chest. "Oh my love, shh, we will fix this, I promise. He can't have you." I shifted her a bit so I could address the room. "I need all of you to refrain from yelling or reacting violently at this time." I let my gaze land on North and Victor, but honestly, it probably applied to all of us. "I had my first vision tonight and apparently it was what was happening to Eveleen in her dream. Erebus did some sort of spell and pulled her spirit to wherever he is hiding. He manipulated the stone and poisoned it with his shade magic." I gave her a look to ask permission and she nodded. I lifted her shirt letting them all see the black tendrils. Most of them gasped or swore, but Gabe stayed silent with only tears streaking his face.

"He told her she must come to him if she wants to live, otherwise the shadow will consume her from the inside. Star, do you know where he is?"

"Somewhere in Ireland is all I can sense so far," she said softly. "If Phineas is with him, then they're most likely where the Daghishat coven was located near Wexford. I'll have a better idea once we are closer."

"What about the spell? Now that North has transitioned and is back, can we try the spell?" Nate asked.

"I don't know. The infection may have changed something. North or Kota, could you reach out to Jace to see if he knows anything?" I asked, then turned to her, "Are you able to reach out to Cailleach?"

She sniffled and more tears fell as she shook her head. "Since the temple, I can't access my magic at all. I've tried and it hurts." She ran her hand across her chest. "I can let my glamour down and raise it, but I...I can't do anything else. I'm a useless mundane," she stammered. "Sorry Brandon, sorry Owen - no offense." They both gave a chuckle and smiled in her direction.

"I don't want to make you uncomfortable, but I think you should try and have someone with you at night. It may not make any difference, but at least we would know quicker if Erebus tries anything again." I expected her to object, but instead, she almost seemed relieved. "Do you want someone to stay in this room with you tonight, or do you want to come to someone's room?" I asked.