Chapter 43: Marie Corvius

"You're leaving again?" I ask while stroking her hand. Annabeth nods as we walk to the border of the camp. "Yeah, I promised my father to visit again. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier. It requires not only time, but also some effort to close the rift between us."

"It's fine. Don't apologize. It's not like camp is in full swing yet. There is also something I like to do. I have only one other person left to invite and inform of our coming marriage," I say, lacing my finger with Annabeth's.

"Marie?" She asks.

"Yes, I should not forget my mortal family. It has also been quite some time since I have seen her last. A visit can't hurt," I explained with a chuckle.

Annabeth soon stopped, turning to look at me with a loving expression. "Give her my best wishes. Well, I will walk the rest of the way alone. Don't get into too much trouble, alright?"

"I will try, but trouble seems to come our way regardless of what we do. I mean, with Percy and me? Trouble seems to be running to get to us," I say with a soft chuckle, placing a soft but deep kiss on her lips. A hum of approval leaves her as one of her hands caresses my cheeks.

"Very true..." she sighs, "Have fun at Marie's." A final kiss is placed on my left cheek before she walks away. I watch her until her figure disappears behind the hill. A final sigh leaves me before I turn to Thalia's Tree and use the shadows to take me away.

The familiar house of Marie soon comes into view. Soft sounds of music come from an open window as I approach the door. My lips curl into a smile as I hear it. Mother's favorite piece of music, the Four Seasons, at least the violin version. The sound stops as I knock on the door.

"Hello?" Marie calls out from above the door through an open window. She soon smiles as she sees me. "Aileen! I'll be right there!"

Hurried footsteps echo from the window, only to switch source from the window to the door. It soon flung open as Marie smiles at me, ushering me inside. Her eyes went to my hand and soon enough, the smile began to brighten.

"My oh my, so young, Aileen. Relatively speaking, of course," she says with a chuckle, following me to the dinner table. "Well, I have much to tell you, Marie. A lot has happened since we last saw each other."

"I imagine, barely received any letters these last few months. Honestly, I was getting worried. I was about to send a letter, actually," she says, sitting down with me at the table.

"Sorry, it has been hectic. It's... worrying to say the least," I take a deep breath and exhale to push past my worries, "Anyway, I have also positive news! I proposed to Annabeth. And she said yes!"

"That's wonderful!" Marie says, clapping excitedly. Her expression slowly turned to a more serious expression as she sighs. "But, sis, you're young. Very young, in fact. Getting married is a heavy decision. You should think about this more carefully," she explains with care and consideration.

"I have, Marie. My life is changing rapidly. You did say you want to meet a God, right?"

She nods, frowning a bit in confusion. "I did. But what's that have to with marriage?"

"I'm becoming a Goddess, Marie. The sleep and disappearing for decades has done something to me. My mortal or human part is being replaced by something else. Losing Annabeth is not what I want. I have known her for years, and now I will spend my life with her. It's what we truly want. I felt it in her and in myself," I explained gently and leaned to the table. My gaze to her as I explained it.

"That's... so romantic. Gosh, I am getting teary eyed! Wait a moment... Did you just say you're becoming a Goddess!?"

I chuckled as I see her mouth agape with shock. Eyes wide as if the eyeballs are about to drop out of the socket. She leans back as she lets out a shocked whistle.