Chapter 78: Death's Embrace

Annabeth Chase

I kept stroking Aileen's head gently as she drifts away. My dear Aileen, words fail me to describe how happy I am to see you. I prayed as best I could to make sure you got here safely. Both rings you gave me got me through the pain, helping me stay grounded. Forever and always, I am yours.

The blissful moment I have with Aileen is shaken when the crying of Zoe reaches me. In concern, I turn to her and my eyes widen as I see her cradling Percy. A deep puncture wound can be seen in his stomach. Most likely delivered by Atlas before his re-imprisonment.

My focus was more on Aileen and her struggle to hold up the sky. The fight the others had wasn't something I had my focus on, I only caught a glimpse of Percy jumping in front of Zoe. With a deep breath, I wind my arms around Aileen. In combination with a soft internal scream and aching muscles, I pick her up. Nico is doing the same with Bianca. It does not take long before we join Zoe and Percy. At their side stood Artemis and Thalia looking at the duo with sadness and pity.

"Foolish boy! It was supposed to be me! Why did thy take the blow?!"

Percy weakly smiles at her. "I think we both know why. Aphrodite meant us, didn't she? This certainly is some drama..." his words are cut off by a cough that brings out blood. He is dying.

"Safe your energy, Perseus. My Lady, please help him! I beg of thee!"

"I can try, Zoe. However, I fear this wound is beyond my power to heal," Artemis says. Thalia's eyes are pricked with tears as her gaze shifts away from the scene. Zoe only looks more desperate to find a way to help him if Artemis fails in her attempt.

Artemis kneels beside the boy who struggles to keep himself alive. Her hands touch the wound as a soft white glow leaves them. Percy winces at the touch, but looks calmer and seems to feel better. Unfortunately, when Artemis' hands retreat, the wound is still there. It looks more closed and healed, but it still is fatal.

"My apologies, Perseus. I cannot heal you," Artemis says to the boy. He only smiles gratefully at her.

"You tried Artemis. That means- hnng! - a lot," he turns to look at Zoe again. Pain swimming in her expression. "I think I like you, Zoe. If I miraculously survive... Will you go out on a date with me?" Percy asks. It brings only more tears to Zoe as she holds him closer in her embrace. "I... I have to ask for permission," she says softly to him.

"Nico..." Bianca says as she grunts, pushing herself up with some effort. "We can help him..." she continues.

"Sis, we barely have the energy. You can barely stand. This will not end well for you," Nico protests. Zoe snaps her head to them. "Please, help him! Whatever thy need, I will give."

Nico closes his eyes as he sighs deeply. He is silent for a moment as he thinks. Zoe looks with hope at the boy as she cradles a coughing Percy in her arms. Artemis looks to Bianca and Nico before her eyes dart to Zoe who seems heartbroken and desperate.

"Bianca, Nico, can you heal the wound of Perseus?" Artemis asks. Nico sighs again as he seems unsure about the outcome. It is clear they know of something, I don't know what though. Aileen never showed any healing abilities.

"We know of a possibility, Artemis. However, I need Bianca to give it a try, but she is too exhausted to do anything at the moment."

Artemis nods before Nico and Bianca are touched on the forehead by Artemis. A bright glow appears where the fingers touch the skin. The siblings blink in surprise as energy seems to fill them.

"A chance is better than before. The boy deserves a chance to live. I have given you a chance to try. Do not waste it," Artemis says and steps back to give space to the siblings.