Whiskey

"We are gonna make some drinks and sit outside. Wanna join us?" Jed asked as I walked in.

"Um...sure," unsure of what he meant by making drinks.

"I usually enjoy a nice glass of wine or a fruity drink mix. Jed goes for straight bourbon or whiskey. What is your choice of drink?" Rose asked.

When I used to drink when I was younger, I was never into fruity drinks. I enjoyed the burn from the harder alcohol. I usually did it to show off to get Alec's attention. Hard liquor was seen as more of a man's drink, and I had wanted him to notice me. It became my favorite thing to drink after that.

"I'll take a whiskey, please," I said

"I think you and I are gonna get along just fine," Jed said, laughing.

We headed outside when we had our drinks and a few extra blankets. I wrapped a blanket around me and sat crossing my legs on the porch swing. Jed and Rose sat on a love seat next to it. We just sat in silence for a while, enjoying the sounds of nature. To me, it was the sound of freedom.

"Can I ask you a question?" Jed asked me.

"Sure," I looked at him.

"You said you came from a Beta family, correct?" he asked.

"Yes... why?" I asked, confused.

"Your wolf... she seems a little big for a Beta. I just found it unusual," he said.

I swallowed hard. I wasn't sure what to tell them. I was still not sure of what was happening with my wolf. I decided that they should know. Maybe Rose could help me figure out what was going on with us. Being a witch, I was sure she would have some idea.

"Well, to be honest. My wolf has changed a lot. I was never that big, or even that color. I used to be a light brown with white paws. Now I'm white with a little grey," I said, feeling a little timid at sharing that with them. Jed and Rose just looked at each other with confused looks on their faces.

"Have you ever heard about that happening? I asked.

"No, dear, I have never heard of that before. When was the last time you shifted before today?" Rose asked.

"Probably about a month before Alec took us," I answered.

"Did anything happen during your time there that could have affected your wolf?" Jed asked.

"Well, I was given wolfsbane every day. They did increase it over time because it would wear off faster after the first year," I shrugged.

Jed choked on his drink a little after I said that and had to cough it out a little bit before he was able to speak again.

"He did what to you?!?" he yelled.

I shrank away from him as his Alpha aura came out a little. I knew he wasn't mad at me, but it still affected me a little.

"What do you mean by that, dear? Can you explain it more?" Rose asked.

She grabbed Jed's hand, and I could feel him calm down for now. I was wary of answering. He was so angry from just telling him that, who knew how he would react when he learned the rest?

"From the first day there, I was given an injection to keep my wolf down and not fight back. After the first year, I could feel my wolf coming back more each day. I was starting to fight back and heal faster, so he started to add more to each dose. Every two months, he would add more when he noticed more changes," I said, looking out at the trees, trying not to let the memories come back in.

They were quiet, but I could feel Jed's anger in the air. Rose was leaning her head on him now and rubbing her hand up and down his arm. When I looked at the glass in his hand, I could see it was shaking. He closed his eyes and was shaking his head. After a few minutes, he calmed down and took a few big breaths.