Chapter 20- Exposed

Chapter 20- Exposed

“I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you appreciate them when they're right, you believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.”~ Marilyn Monroe

I wait for Jake in our meeting place. My body is in pain I think we all know why. He got angry at me yesterday because I went to a friend’s house who was a boy. He called me a slut and a whore because all I wanted to do was ‘drop my knickers’. I told him I was going to Jake's house and he told me I better not try and do something stupid- meaning running away. He just wanted a reason that's all. I look up at the sky; it's becoming grey and I wonder what causes it to rain. Honestly I just did it so I didn’t have to think about reality. Rhiannon still hasn’t been around, and I still can’t work out why she would leave without anything. Rhiannon did keep to herself a lot but she used to always tell me how her mom and dad used to love her and how they were in love like careless teenagers, so why did they leave without her mom?

Jake breaks me from my thoughts. "Hey An." We both make our way to school talking casually. Jake is telling me how his dad enjoyed having me around yesterday.

"It was loads of fun Jake. Your dad is so easy to be around." I smile at him. Jake practically begged me to meet his dad.

"So when can I meet your family?" My heart stops beating.

"Why?"

"Well you've met mine and now I want to meet yours."

"My family are boring. Trust me. I have to live with them."

"Well I want to meet them Anna. Please?"

"NO!" I snap at him. I reign myself in. "Sorry. I just..."

"What are you hiding?" For a split second in that moment I feel as though he can see right through me. He can see all the secrets and pain. As I turn to look at him one question runs through my head; Does Jake know the truth?

Jake's POV

When I mentioned her family her mood changed. Like she was hiding something that she didn’t want me to find out. I really liked Anna but I wanted to know more about her and her life but she kept to herself especially about her family; mostly her step-dad. I wanted to help her if she was having a problem. First I thought she was like me, she wasn’t comfortable talking about it but her reaction just now proved there was something else there.

"What are you hiding?" She looks shocked at what I just asked. I look at her and something else creeps onto her face. Fear?

She doesn’t answer me for a while. "Anna you didn’t answer me."