Chapter 53- Darkness In A New Light

"Death doesn't scare me. Life without him does."~ Anonymous

Narrator's POV

Jack fixes his hair as he waits for his parents to come down. "Mom! Dad! Come on!" He glances at the clock on the wall and sees that it's getting late. The venue is quite far from the hotel. Not long later does Mr and Mrs Maynard come down. Jake rolls his eyes at them. "Took you long enough."

"Sorry son but you know what your mother is like." Gary rolls his eyes at the only woman present.

"Don't you dare blame this on me. Your father was too busy watching a match and thought he’d be able to get ready in 15 minutes. Also a woman should always take her time getting dressed. Beauty like this does not come in two minutes."

"It true," Jack's girlfriend chimes in as she joins everyone in the room, "So you boys’ best back off." Jake takes in the woman he calls his partner. A smile takes over his face as they lock eyes. As the colour pink spreads in her cheek Jack's ringtone fills the room. He quickly winks at her before grabbing his phone out of his pocket. Conor.

"Guys come on head out." He tells his family just as answers the call. "Her Con. What's up?"

"Is this Mr. Jack Maynard? Brother of Conor Maynard?"

Jack scrunches his eyebrows in confusion at the voice he can't recognise. It sounds too old, "Yeah, speaking."

"Sir. I'm afraid there has been some bad news. There's been an accident..."

Anth rubs his two hands together as he takes a deep breath. Not long now he thinks as he paces up and down. He watches over all the people here. It's already half full and nothing has even happened yet. He smiles as he thinks about how happy his best friend is and he internally wishes that one day he can be as happy as him.

Sirens blare nearby and Anth rolls his eyes at the idiots that have probably got themselves drunk and are doing something stupid. He decides on walking around the perimeter of the park and as he does he hears people talking about the accident that has happened nearby. He intervenes in the tenth conversation about the accident.

"Hello, sorry to be rude but what about the accident?"

"Nobody really knows much but a couple streets away from here has been blocked off and all the roads around the road of the accident. Apparently two guys were racing and they hit a guy who was standing in the middle of the road."

"Did they catch the guys?"

"No. They're trying to track. It was a hit-and-run. Some girl was screaming for help when an old lady heard. Who stands in the middle of the road anyway? The idiot."

A bad feeling forms in the pit of Anth's stomach and he walks away from the two ladies. He walks back to the stage. He looks at the clock that has been hung up. 8:30. Conor should have been here Anth thinks. He wonders if the accident could be about Anna and Conor but pushes the thought away and tells himself off for being so ridiculous.

He looks towards the entrance gate waiting for Conor to appear. Minutes later his phone rings and he pulls it out in hopes that it's Conor. When blocked number appears Anth begins to feel fear. Answering the call he speaks into the phone, "Hello?"