Chapter 42- Farewell

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”~ Friedrich Nietzsche

I make my way through the crowd of people. People place their hand on my shoulder and either give me a nod or a few words about being sorry for my loss or about the funeral and my speech. I just simply nod at them or mutter a thanks before walking off. Soon enough I find the one person I am looking for. I tap his shoulder and his blue eyes land on me. I see the worry evident in his eyes. He pulls me to him and he wraps his arms around my waist. I feel him rest his chin on my head. I sigh into him and wrap my arms around his waist. I have been so unfair to him these last few days; not speaking to him or even reacting to him. I pull away from him and look into his eyes.

"I'm sorry Con. These last few days-"

"Ssh. Don't worry about it baby. I understand." I feel tears brim in my eyes. How have I managed to get something so amazing? 

"I love you Conor."

"I love you too baby girl." He kisses my forehead and I smile at him.

"Oh, I think it's nice that you played guitar for Kay at the funeral service. I think it was her way of getting her feelings out."

"I agree. She came to me last night and just asked if I could do her a favour. There was no way that I'd decline her of anything. She's like my sister. I would help her with anything she needs, even this baby."

"The baby was a shock to us all. I guess that makes things harder for her. She has to get better Conor. I'm scared what will happen to the baby if she doesn't." I look down at my hands, tears forming again.

I feel two fingers on my chin, lifting my head up. "Hey," Conor speaks in a hushed whisper, "Don't cry. With all of us her by her side she will get better. If she needs professional help then that is what we will get her. If she needs money I will give her my entire fortune. Okay? She isn't alone." I nod at him and lean back into him. We both stay hand-in-hand talking to people who come up to us. A while later Conor gets a phone call. His face falls before he excuses himself. I just nod at him and take a seat on the stool behind me. I order myself a lemonade and sip it slowly as I watch everyone else conversing or eating.

I hear the stool near me being pulled out and I turn my head to see Austin. "Hey bestie."

I smile at him. His eyes show how tired he is. His hair dishevelled and looks like has had his hand run through it a million times. His black tie, which was once perfect, has been pulled loose and now hangs low around his neck. "You look like hell."

"I feel it."

"Don't we all? How are you holding up?" I ask, turning to face him.

"I have been better. I just wish all this would end but it's never going to end is it?"

"No... It's not. But we all have to be there for each other."

"Yeah. We do. I am always here for you baby girl."

"I love you Austin."

"I love you more than you will ever know." He pushes back the locks of hair that has fallen in my face. He leaves his hand on my cheek and slowly strokes it. He locks eyes with me and I can't bring myself to look away.

"Have any of you guys seen Mikayla?" Lucas's voice breaks the moment. Austin drops his hand and looks down. I look at Lucas.

"No. Not since the burial. Have you Austin?" I realise that Austin looks anywhere but at me. I frown slightly.