Chapter 5

The nurse taking Steves blood pulls the needle out.
"Think you got enough?"
"Any hope of reproducing the programme is locked in your genetic code. But without Dr Erskine it will probably take years."
"He deserved more than this"
"If it could work only once. He'd be proud it was you" Steve and Peggy stare at each other a moment

Your in the lab with Howard looking at the machine they just brought in, when the Colonel and Senator walk in.
"What we got here?" Colonel Phillis asks
"Speaking modestly, I'm the best mechanical engineer in this country, but I don't know what's inside this thing or how it works"
"There's nothing modest about you Stark" you slap his arm gently "We're not even close to this technology" you say facing the Senator.

"Then who is?"

"Hydra" Phillips responds "I'm sure you've been reading our briefings"
"I'm on a number of committees Colonel"

Just then Peggy and Steve walk in, you roll your eyes and turn away.
"Hydra is the nazi deep-science division, it's lead by Johann Schmidt. But he has much bigger ambitions". Peggy announces.

"Hydras practically a cult! They worship Schmidt. They think he's invincible" Phillips adds.

"So what you are you going to do about it?" Senator asks
"I spoke to the president this morning as of today the SSR is being retasked" he speaks turning to face Peggy
"Colonel"
"We are to taking the fight to Hydra. Pack your bags, Agent Carter. You too Stark and Barnes! We're flying to London tonight"
Steve glances at you. 

"Sir? If you're going after Schmidt, I want in" Steve addresses the Colonel
"You're and experiment. You're going to Alamogordo"
"The serum worked" Steve counters
"I asked for an army and all I got was you. You are not enough"

You look at Howard but he shakes his head, you want nothing more than to speak up but know it's not your place and don't want to risk being removed from working with Stark.

The Senator approaches Steve "With all due respect to the Colonel, I think we may be missing the point. I've seen you in action Steve, more importantly the country's seen it. Paper. The enlistments lines have been around the block since your picture hit the newsstands. You don't take a soldier, a symbol like that and hide him in a lab. Son do you want to serve your country on the most important battlefield of the war?"
Steve looks at the Senator "Sir that's all I want"
"Then congratulations. You just got promoted"
They shake hands and Steve walks over to you and Howard.
"Be careful out there" Steve says as he reaches you
"I will be fine Stevie, sounds like your going to be busy as well"
"I will look after her" Howard offers patting Steve on the back and flashing him a side smile.
Steve always wondered if there was something more going on with you and Howard but never wanted to know the answer incase there was.
"See you soon, promise to write when you can" you give him a hug.
"I promise, please be safe" he says while not wanting to break the hug but hold you in arms forever.

Steve's sat in the rain drawing after a disaster of a show.
"Hey" Peggy say as she walks over to Steve
"Peggy?What are you doing here?" Turning around in shock
"Officially i'm not here at all"
"Nice performance"
"Yeah had to improvise a little bit. Crowds I'm used to are a little more uh, twelve"
"I understand your Americas new hope"
"Bond sales take a 10% bump in every state I visit"
"Is that Senator Brandt I hear?"
"Least he's got me doing this. Philips would've had be stuck in a lab"
"And these are your only two options? A lab rat or a dancing monkey? You were meant for more than this you know"

"She's right Stevie" you say as you approach them cautiously
"Gracie?" Steve looks shocked to see you
"Hey stranger" you say with a smile
"You know for the longest time Grace that I've dreamt about coming overseas and being on the front lines, serving my country. I finally got what I wanted ... and I'm wearing tights" Steve says defeated.
"Well least you look good in them" you laugh trying to ease the tension.

Next minute there's a car horn honking and medics rush to carry a man out the car.
"They look like they've been through hell"
"These men more than most" Peggy responds turning to look at Steve
"Schmidt sent out a force to Azzano. Two hundred men went up against him, and less then 50 returned. Your audience contained what was left of the 107th the rest were killed or captured"
You and Steve exchange a panicked look
"The 107th?" You both respond in sync, before Steve takes off in the rain with Peggy following. You stand there frozen feeling your chest tighten unable to move. They never told you what regiment was based here.

" Colonel Phillips" Steve says walking inside the tent.
"Well if it isn't the star spangled man with a plan. What is your plan today?"
"I just need one name Sergeant James Barnes from the 107th"
"You and I are gonna have a conversation later that you won't enjoy" Colonel says to Peggy.
"Please just tell me if he's alive he is Gracie's older brother" Steve interrupts
"I've signed more of these condolence letters today than I would care to count. But yes unfortunately Barnes was in there. I'm sorry"
You scream as you overheard what was just said
"Nooo" you collapse in tears on the floor.
Steve comes over to you and crouches down
"He can't be gone Stevie" you say looking at him tears flowing down your checks.
"I'm sorry" Steve says bringing you into a hug fighting his own tears.
He turns to the Colonel "what about the others? Are you planning a rescue mission?"
"Yeah it's called winning the war"
"But if you know where they are why not at least.."
"They are 30 miles behind the line through some of the most heavily fortified territory in Europe. We'd lose more men then we'd save. But I don't expect you to understand that because you're a chorus girl"
Steve starts picking you up from the floor as you try and gather yourself.
"I think I understand just fine"
"If I read the posters correctly you have someplace to be in 30 minutes"
Steve stares at the map taking in the location.
"Yes sir I do" Peggy notices what Steve was staring at.
You walk out alongside Steve tears still falling. Not quite believing that you've just been told you lost your big brother. You don't even notice Steve entering a tent as your frozen and lost in your grief.
Peggy follows Steve into the tent seeing him gathering equipment
"What do you plan to do walk to Austria?"
"If that's what it takes"
"You heard the Colonel, your friend is most likely dead"
"You don't know that, Gracie can't lose her big brother"
"And I feel sorry for her but even so Phillips is  devising a strategy. If he devises from that ..."
"By the time he's done that it could be too late" Steve shouts
"Steve think of Gracie"
"I am thinking of her that's why I need to do this".

You notice Steve filling a car up arguing with Peggy.
"You told me you thought I was meant for more than this, did you mean that?"
"Every word"
"Then you got to let me go" Steve starts getting in the car. You run over to him.
"Steve?"
"I gotta try Grace"
"I know but please let me help" you say with a slight smile.

Your sat on the plane with Steve, Peggy and Howard.
"The Hydra camp is in Krausberg, tucked between these two mountain ranges. It's a factory of some kind." Peggy's briefing Steve.
"We should be able to drop you right on the doorstop" Howard says.
"Just get me as close as you can. You three are gonna be in a lot of trouble when you land"
"Worth it" you quickly respond
"And you won't" Peggy adds
"Where I'm going if anybody yells at me. I can just shoot them"
"And they will shoot back" you say looking worried.
"Well let's hope it's good for something" Steve says tapping his shield.
"Grace how about stopping off in Lucerne for a late night fondue" Howard asks you.
"Sounds good to me Howie" you respond.

Steve looks awkwardly at Peggy.
"Stark is the best civilian pilot I've ever seen. He's probably the only one mad enough to brave this airspace. We're lucky to have him here and that he actually agreed to fly us." You say while looking at Steve.
He tries to pluck up the courage to ask what's going on between the two of you.
"So are you two... do you... fondue?"
"What are you going on about Stevie?" You ask confused.
Peggy breaks the awkwardness
"This is your transponder. Activate it when you're ready and the signal will lead us straight to you.
"Are you sure this thing works?" Steve asks.

"Doubting us are you?" You raise an eyebrow at him.
"It's been tested more than you pal" Howard adds before gunshots are fired at the plane.
Steve makes his way over to the exit.
"Stevie get back here! We're taking you all the way in!"
"I'm not risking your life Gracie, as soon as I'm clear you turn this thing around and get the hell out of here! Stark get them to safety!"
"You can't give us orders!" Peggy adds
"The hell I can't! Im a captain" he says looking at you before jumping out the plane.
You feel your heart sink to your stomach as you watch Steve jump.