#19 - A Biddy's second favourite day

A Biddy's life is nothing but routine, waking up and taking in the morning. Retrieving their matching grey uniforms accompanied by their unique sashes, black leather gloves that match their boots, a unique outfit not many get the privilege to wear.

However, this particular morning seems different for one Biddy. The short haired, elderly woman adjusts her gloves and shifts her sash as she looks in the mirror, when a sudden overwhelming nausea takes over, a cough escaping her lips. She hunches over, leaning on the wall for support.

It takes a minute but soon the Biddy pulls herself back together, with a long exhale she pushes herself off the wall and straightens her posture. She retrieves a photo frame from her bedside table, within it reside a photo of a younger woman wearing a Private's uniform, the youthful beautiful radiating off the photo, was this a relative? Her daughter? Maybe an old photo of her? She smiles at it as she places it back down.

The bell tolls and all the Biddies stand to attention, finishing what they're doing and making their way to the ends of they matching beds. The Biddies share a mind, thoughts, opinions and feelings so sharing a room doesn't bother any of the older women.

"I love this day." One states. "Best day of the year."

"Second best." The short-haired woman who was holding the photo frame earlier corrects, what does she count as the best day?

General Alder enters the room like she has done for many years, the sight of her Biddies always bringing the woman happiness. She walks down the aisle, quickly looking each one over and they join her in her catwalk as she walks past. Time to get the day started, it is the beginning of Beltane after all.

The atmosphere in Fort Salem this morning was buzzing, the chatter and giggling not stopping once, not even through breakfast. General Alder and her Biddies walk out into the morning sun, joining what seems like everyone in the whole compound as they await an arrival. They join Anacostia down at the bottom of the stairs, the two sharing a greeting glance.

Tally and Raelle quickly find their place next to Abigail on the stairs, Tally in a frazzled manner whilst Raelle calming sits on the stone ledge, her unexcited demeanour not matching that of everyone else's.

"I suddenly look weird. And not in a good way." Tally exclaims in a panicked tone, she fidgets with her uniform, straightening it.

Abigail looks at the girl unfazed, "Stop fidgeting. You look fine." This doesn't help Tally in the slightest. Abigail's own cool and collectedness failing slightly as she adjusts her collar and sleeves, a hint of nerves perhaps.

Raelle on the other hand could not care less. Today's events spark no interest in her but she was here for her friends and her attempts at being a better person for her unit. She just looks on at the tree line hoping to see movement that signifies this is almost over and she can go back about her day.

Multiple coaches make their way to the front of Fort Salem, stopping in front of where General Alder stands, she steps forward in anticipation as do her Biddies.

"Here we go." Veronica repeatedly nudges Grace who stands beaming, both girls incredibly excited for the traditional holiday that is quick on approach. However, seeming to match the dynamic of the Bellweather Unit, Carmen just stands looking at her unit members with a face of amusement, not particularity sharing in their love for the festivities.

A well-built man steps off, of the coach first. A beige raincoat covering his broad shoulders and a handsome face to match, a brown lushness on his head with a fantastic bread to match, giving a strong authorial presence.

"General Alder." He greets the woman standing in front of him, the two familiar.

"Witchfather." She greets back with a knowing nod. "Welcome back to Fort Salem."