A Special Christmas

"Shadow..... shadow please don't go..... it's to dangerous! SHADOW! NO! DONT LEAVE ME LIKE THIS!!!! SHADOOOOOW!!!!"
"Knuckles wake up! Knuckles!" Sonic and Mario shook their friend trying to wake him. "Knux!" Mario shouted and the red echidna's eyes shot open seeing the worry in his friends face realizing he fell asleep on Peach's couch. Knuckles sat up and looked at all his friend stopped decorating and circled around him. "Knuckles is this why you been loosing sleep?" Daisy asked handing him some warm cider. He nods as tears filled in his eyes. Knuckles and Shadow were trapped in one of Eggman's doom rooms during a mission. Shadow got them out but remember they left behind the chaos ring. Shadow ran back inside ignoring knuckles protests. Knuckles ran after him only to be blinded and flung by an explosion. When he woke up in the hospital his first thought was shadow. Much to the sadness in his friends eyes Rouge hand Knuckles a dog tag chain necklace he gave to shadow for Christmas two years prior. The echidna held it close to his heart as tears fell from his eyes. He lost shadow... the love of his life. When he was discharged knuckles ran to Eggman's base and beat the hell out of him until sonic and silver pulled him away. "YOU WENT TO FAR EGGMAN!!!! SHADOW IS GONE BECAUSE OF YOU!!!! SONIC SILVER LET ME GO IM GOING TO FUCKING KILL HIM!!!!!"

After that he's had nightmares of shadows death for three years but this year really hit him. He excused himself to his guest room while his friends watched the echidna leave. "Poor knuckles....." Cream said with tears. Knuckles sits on the balcony looking up at the stars thinking of shadow as tears fall. He pulls out the dog tag necklace he had under his shirt seeing the engraving of his name with his and the date they started dating. "Shadow..... I miss you....." he said clenching the tag in his fist. "I wish you were here...." He cried into his knees as the necklace dangles. If there was one thing he wanted for Christmas was shadow in his arms once more but he knew that was an impossible gift.
The following night was Christmas Eve and the party was going well. Knuckles sips on brandy in the corner of the room. "Knuckles?" Rouge asked walking up in a sparkling black dress. "What Rouge?" Knuckles said sipping more of his drink. "It's almost time for gifts come and join us." She smiled and he shrugged. Everyone open presents and loved their gifts and knuckles looks at the painting he got of his favorite photo of him and shadow from Rouge. "Thanks rouge...." He cracked a smile. "I know it's not the real thing but it's something happy that you can always cherish." She hugs him knowing his heart was breaking for shadow. "Now" Peach smiled and pours wine in their glasses. "A toast! To friends, family, and for the ones who couldn't be here with us. Let us raise out glasses and celebrate the-" Peach stop speaking and was shocked. The rest of the group gasp and tear up. Knuckles turns around and his heart started racing. There stood shadow with a duffel bag approaching them. Knuckles drops his glass as he ran to shadow who ran to him. Knuckles jumps into shadows arms and the two held each other tightly as tears fall and they shared a long kiss. Everyone cries in joy and approach shadow and knuckles as they join in for a group hug. "You're alive.... How..." knuckles asked once the group hug breaks. "Turns out I was in a coma and was sent to a different hospital. When I woke up two weeks ago and was told I been gone for 3 years I had to come back. I was praying I didn't lose you....." "Shadz I never stop thinking about you...." Knuckles smiled then smacked the back of shadows head. "ow!" "DONT EVER DISAPPEAR ON ME LIKE THAT AGAIN!" Knuckles yelled and shadow smirked. "I promise red if you promise to marry me" Shadow smiled and knuckles smacked the back of shadows head again. "Is that even a question of course I'll marry you dumbass!"

Ok this story was requested by my friend who almost lost her husband 3 years ago. They both served in the military and now they're both retired because they didn't want thier kids to lose their parents. This story was very emotional to write because it's never easy to lose someone who you think is gone forever.