Do you still love me?

Short takes place in my Mario and Sonic timeline series after the events of Mario and Sonic vs Pirates

"So what is this invention called again?" Shadow asked Silver, Tails and Luigi. "Don't know what to call it yet but it can give you a chance to watch a memory of someone else of your choosing" Tails smiled finishing it up. "So I'm a ginnie pig for this?" Shadow asked. "Yep!" They all smiled and he sighed but he knew what he wanted to see. Shadow places the helmet and silver turns it on.

Shadow opens up his eyes and saw he was back in the dorm room him and knuckles shared. He smiles seeing knuckles tapping his pencil on the text book laying on his bed. His ears flicked hearing the door swing open and slam shut. "KNUCKLES IM FREAKING OUT!!!" He heard himself yelled storming in. "Whoa hey Shadz what's wrong?" Knuckles asked closing the book. "Colors.... Aura..... Rouge....." "What are you— wait a minute. Is rouge your link?" He asked and college shadow (CS) nods tears falling. "Are you sure?" "Yes the colors that surround her aura.... But I don't want to accept it.... Knux I love you." CS said and shadow tears up watching the break up happen again. "You only get one chance right? Well you need to accept shadow you finally get to become mortal! Your dream!" Knuckles said. "I'll be ok go to her" knuckles starts pushing CS to the door. "But—" "No buts shadow.... I been preparing for this day to come I'm ok go" he pushed CS out of the dorm and shut the door. Shadow felt tears fall in gratitude for the sacrifice but now he wanted to know if knuckles was ok. His heart sank after waiting a few moments and knuckles opens the door. He watches him looking down the hallway and shuts the door pressing his back against it. Knuckles slides down to the floor and hugs his legs before crying into his knees. Shadow saw the heartbreak in knuckles eyes and knew knuckles lied to him.

Shadow removes the helmet and tears fell. "Shadow you ok?" Luigi asked as he took the helmet. "It worked perfectly guys but I need to go...." Shadow said and bolted out their lab. He sees knuckles talking to Amy and Sonic as they were loading up their car for there late honeymoon. "Thanks again knux" Sonic smiled. "No problem guys drive safe" knuckles smiled and walks away then saw shadow. "Oh hey shadow" he smiled but it faded when he saw the anger in shadows eyes. "We need to talk....Now" shadow growled and the two went to his house. Once inside knuckles was about to ask shadow what was wrong when shadow snaps. "YOU LIED TO ME!" He yelled. "What did I lie about?!" "You said you were ok that day we broke up you lied!" Shadow yelled and knuckles eyes widen. "How did you find—" "A new invention that could travel you into one's memory. Now tell me the truth what really went through your head when I told you I was linked to rouge. No more bull shit the truth NOW" shadow demanded and knuckles sighs. "Fine.... When you told me my heart completely shattered..... I mean three years we were together shadow and part of me wanted to be selfish and tell you not to accept your link to rouge. Yet I couldn't because you were going to have your dream to be mortal. So I stayed strong and had to let you go..." knuckles said as tears start to form. "I loved you so much I had to let go....." "Do you still love me?" Shadow asked tears forming. "Deep down I do but it's not as strong as it once was because I move on and I finally got my happiness in Kat. When you told me you still loved me when we were trapped by Minerva it made me happy..... yet we both know what we had is long gone...." Knuckles said tears falling and shadow nods tears also falling. Knuckles phone rings and looks at the caller ID. "It's Kat... I need to go.... I'm sorry for lying to you shadow....." he said and Shadow forgives him before he left. Later on Rouge walks back into the house with grocery bags and sees shadow in tears. "Shadow what's wrong?" She asked and he tells her. "Oh shadow...." "It's fine rouge..... but there's something I do need to tell you and this stays between us and only us...." Shadow said with a serious tone. "Ok..." "Before I was linked with you..." he took a big breath and what he said next shocked her.

"I was going to ask knuckles to marry me after college graduation..."