2.19

After the Witan, Y/N tried to speak with Finan about the battle he had not told her, but he avoided her.
"Osferth. What battle?" Osferth shrugged as he sat down at the bench.
"I don't know Y/N. Finan did not say." Y/N nodded, looking around for Sihtric, who had not seated himself at their table. Instead sat on his own in a corner, drinking his ale. Y/N tapped Osferth to move so she could sit with Sihtric.
"What is the matter?" Y/N whispered as she leaned over the table to look at Sihtric. Sihtric looked up, an irritated expression formed on his face as he looked at her.
"Talk to me." She pleaded.
"Uhtred wants an army to defeat Hæsten to get Skade." Sihtric said plainly.
"We already knew that." Y/N responded as Sihtric stared at her blankly before drinking his ale.
"What did you ask Uhtred?" Y/N stared at him. Unsure what to say. Sihtric scoffed. He already knew what she had asked Uhtred, but he wanted her to say it, but she didn't.
"If you want to leave. Just go." His words stung her. Everything in her told her to approach him and tell him she was sorry for what she said. She did not want to keep arguing with him.
"I'm not going anywhere, Siht."
"You won't make it in the battle." Y/N clenched her jaw at his words.
"Then so be it."

Before Sihtric could respond, Osferth joined them awkwardly.
"I don't think Edward appreciated my company." Osferth said. Trying to lighten the tension.
"That is the life of a bastard." Sihtric spat. Osferth looked at Y/N, confused at Sihtrics attitude, but all Y/N did was place her hand on her head with a sigh.
"Do you think there will be a battle?" Osferth asked. Y/N rolled her eyes, as she really wanted to tell Osferth to piss off, so she could talk to Sihtric.
"Probably." Y/N scratched her eyebrow.
"That means lots of death."
"Probably. Probably. Probably." Y/N said as she hit the table. "And it will probably be mine too." Y/N spat as she stood up to walk away.

She felt angry and she didn't know how to control it. She wanted to yell at them, but she wanted to embrace them. She wanted to find the right words, but nothing came out.
"Hey. Hey." Finan called as he ran towards her, stopping her. His face broke when he saw the pain in her eyes. He pulled her in his arms, letting her cry.
"Y/N. Uhtred told me. I know yu want to go back to Cookham." Y/N wiped her eyes, looking back at him.
"No. I will go with you to Beamfleot." Finan sighed. His eyes showed conflict, but he knew the truth was better than nothing.
"I think it will be better yu go back with Father Beocca to Winchester. He assured yur safety as long as yu return with him. " Finan spoke slowly. Trying not to offend her. "I will not lose yu in a war because yu are angry and hurt. I would rather see yu in Winchester knowing yu are safe."
"I am fine. Fin. I promise."
"No. No yur not." Finan cupped her face. Trying to think of a way to reason with her.
"I am a good fighter, Finan." Finan laughed at her, "I do not doubt that, woman. I would never doubt that. However, this is different." Finan grunted as she pulled a face.
"Y/N." Finan placed his hands on her shoulders, feeling conflicted.
"I will come with you to Beamfleot and stay at the camp, and I will only fight if I have to." Finan kissed her on the head.
"Do not fight unless I tell yu too." Y/N agreed with a kiss.