2.22

Y/N found a quiet spot at Æthelflaeds estate, where she could quietly sob. Her hands used Finans cloak to wipe the snot from her face as she stared at the ground. She hated what Skade was doing to them. What she had done to Sihtric. She wondered if she did not lose the child, would Sihtric have become so bitter. Y/N shook her head, trying to remove the thoughts. Pleading with herself that they would stress her out more.
"Please, God. Give me strength." Y/N stopped when she heard the sound of someone's footsteps quietly walking around. Her hand instantly went to her waist, but she found no sword to comfort her. Y/N placed her back to the wooden poll as she looked out to see Sihtric creeping around. Her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to work out what he was doing. Sihtric stopped when he heard someone was nearby. Y/Ns heart sunk when she saw a set keys in his hand. She knew what he was going to do. He was going to free Dagfinn and the rest of the prisoners.
"Why?" She asked. Not moving from where she was. "Why do it?"
"Skade will destroy us all." Sihtric said as he turned around to face her.
"Come with me back to Winchester. You don't want this." Sihtric stepped forward, an expression she did not recognise.
"And do what? Be a housewife. Live my life as a Saxon, and for what?" Y/N winced at his tone.

She did not understand. She did not understand why he would want to leave her. To leave Finan.
"That's not what I meant. Sihtric, please just sleep on it." Y/N begged. Trying to find something to make him stay.
"Sihtric, please." Y/N moved, grabbing at his cloak like a child. "Don't leave me." Sihtric removed her hands from her. His eyes avoided her.
"You are a curse."
"I am a what?" Y/N frowned, not understanding. "Sihric. I am your wife. Yet you choose your freedom over me. A curse over me." Y/Ns face scrunched up as she tried not cry, but she was struggling to hold it. Her bottom lip quivered as he pushed her back.
"I do not want a wife who scolds me for my beliefs." Sihtric spat.
"I-I'm sorry." Y/N apologised. Her words stuck in her throat as Sihtric looked at her disgustedly, "I should never have married you."

Everything in a body told her to stop him, but she couldn't. Instead, she just stood their, shaking in the cold as her heart shattered.
"Where have yu been!" Finan shouted, from behind her. "Y/N?!" Finan called again, as she did not turn around. She stayed at the same spot where Sihtric once was.
"What's happened." Finan pulled her arm harshly, looking at her distressed face. Y/N threw herself at him, crying into his chest.
"What has he done. Y/N tell me." Finan grabbed her face, looking at her.
"Sihtric is gone. He's taken Dagfinn and left with them."
"What?"
"He chose to leave with Dagfinn, Finan! Why did he do it? Why would he leave?" Finan shook his head, holding her face.
"I don't know Y/N. He's not thinking straight." Finan shook her face, making her eyes reach his. "But I'm here. Y/N, I am still here, and I'm not going anywhere." Finan wiped her tears, but she would not hear it.
"No. No. You don't get it Finan."
"Listen to me, woman." Finan shook her. Forcing her to listen to him.
"I will never leave yu, and if God sends me away, I will break my oath and come straight back. I swear it to yu Y/N. Yu are the only person who has kept me alive." Finans eyes scanned hers as he brushed his thumb over her eyelids.
"I would rather spend the rest of my days as a slave in Iceland than be separated from yu." Finan's voice started to break, as he told her how he felt when he was alone.
"I knew the minute yu held me, and wiped the dirt from my face, I gave yu my heart, like fool. But I was always a fool when it came to yu." Finan closed his eyes, as he pressed his forehead against hers, breathing in her scent.
"I. Will. Never. Leave. Yu."