5.5

Travelling through Roman Passages was not something Y/N would have ever thought she would be doing in her life. Let alone at this stage of her life.
"Out of all our stupid plans. This is the most stupid one of all." Y/N grunted as she almost had to swim through at one stage.
"It's part of the experience." Osferth grumbled.
"We are in the city, now!" Sigtryggr stated. Y/N looked back with a sigh of relief as she looked at Æthelstan, who seemed confused at what they were doing. Sihtric behind him smiled at her, making her chuckle as she pushed through. Once they were out, they were faced with Danes. Y/N quickly pulled out her dagger, stabbing one in front of her, throwing him to the side so she could keep running. They followed Sigtryggr quickly to a barn and ran up the stairs to a window. Y/N could hear the people of Stiorra shouting.
"Go to Stiorra, now!" Uhtred said. Y/N and Finan nodded, running quickly down the stairs, pressing their backs to the wall. The two looked at each other with a knowing look, not having to speak to each other to know the plan. Y/N nodded and moved left, past the stables, trying to keep as low as possible. Y/N looked opposite her to see Æthelstan in the corner and Osferth on the roof in positions. She quickly glanced over to Finan, waiting for him to nod before she crept over to the square. Y/N wrapped her hand around one of the Danes, slitting his throat quietly, before drawing her sword and attacking those in front of her, trying to reach Stiorra as quickly as possible.
"You came!" Stiorra breathed out, making Y/N heavily laugh, as she kicked the man in front of her.

Y/N spun around and ducked, underneath a man, swinging her leg around to stab the man in the chest. Y/N got up and looked around when she saw a child on the roof of a house. It was Bridas daughter.
"Vibeke!" Brida shouted, trying to get her daughter to jump. Y/N watched in horror as her daughter didn't reach her. Y/N knew they the war was over for now. Brida had lost her daughter. Her only means to fight. Y/N walked over towards Uhtred on the watch, "grief will do something dangerous to her. It will not weaken her."
"I know, Y/N! We must wait!" Y/N agreed with Uhtred and said no more.
"Where the blood hell have yu been. I was going to start searching the dead!" Finan called, making them all laugh. Y/N shrugged and looked back towards Uhtred.
"Like Y/N would ever end up dead!" Sihtric said. Y/N looked at Æthelstan and pulled his face in her hand, looking over at the wounds.
"It is a scratch." Æthelstan grumbled.
"A scratch across your face. Some women may like that." Y/N joked, making the young man smile.
"We will save the feasting in Rumcofa for later. We need to find Brida." Uhtred ordered them quickly, before walking off.
"What has happened?" Osferth asked.
"Bridas daughter is dead." Y/N said as she walked off to greet Father Pyrlig into a hug, offering to help him off of his horse.
"I am not an old man." Father Pyrlig stated.
"I know you are not, but nearly there." Y/N jested.
"Father Pyrlig, I am really sorry. I need to speak to my wife." Finan rushed, dragging Y/N off. Y/N looked at him worriedly. She had never seen him so distressed.
"Finan? What is wrong." Y/N asked.
"Æthelflaed is dying! I was told not to tell anyone... Eadith... Eadith said not to tell Uhtred until after the battle...." Y/N stared blankly at Finan. That was a big secret Eadith put on Finan.
"Do not tell Uhtred until he has caught Brida. He is already blaming himself for Brida's daughter." Y/N stated, really wishing Finan did not tell her.
"Go and help Father Pyrlig, Finan! Do not think about it anymore." Y/N said as she grabbed his face, pressing his forehead against hers. Finan quickly pecked her lips before heading off.
"Jesus Christ!" Y/N breathed out, kicking the hay in front of her, before getting on her horse to find Brida.

The longer she travelled, the less likely she would find Brida. All she found was the dead. Literally a trail of dead bodies. Y/N decided to head back down south, meeting Sihtric halfway. Sihtric shook his head. Brida was long gone.
"No tracks?" Y/N asked.
"Yes, but the tracks are cold. She passed hours ago." Sihtric stated, making her sigh, "what to do. What to do."
"Come on. We need to tell Uhtred." Sihtric said, kicking his horse. In the end, they decided it was easier to go back to Eoferwic and rest or to celebrate Æthelstans first battle. Which turned out to be a drunken mess.

Æthelstan go incredibly drunk by Sihtric and Osferth, while Y/N sat there and watched quietly. Quietly worrying about Uhtred.
"Right, bastard! Let's find you a woman." Osferth said with a laugh.
"I would rather forget the men I killed." Æthelstan said with a sickly look on his face.
"More reason to have a woman. Isn't that right, Sihtric?" Osferth asked. Sihtric widened his eyes as he sat next to his wife, "Osferth, is there a reason you are suggesting such things. Bored of your wife already." Y/N kicked Sihtric, telling him to go up and retrieve some more ale.
"Lady mother." Æthelstan drunkenly said, climbing over the bench to sit with her. Sitting down with a flop.
"I really like Eir! No... no I really love Eir!" Y/N nodded quietly, a smirk falling on her face as she drank her ale. "Can I marry her?" Æthelstan before he threw up.
"Right, you. Time for bed!" Y/N said with laughter as she wrapped his arm around her shoulder, carrying him to bed.