3.38

That night, Y/N laid awake with her son, who rested on her lap. She could not go to sleep knowing that Eir was being held by Sigtryggr. Not even Sihtric could reassure her. Y/N wondered if it was true that Eir was safe because she looked like a Dane. She did not even know whether it was true that her daughter looked like a Dane. It had been a long time since she had seen her. It had been two months.
"Uhtred?" Y/N spoke as she saw Young Uhtred, walking towards them.
"I have found fathers sword." Young Uhtred spoke, showing the sword that belonged to Uhtred. Finan looked up and took the sword nervously as they all looked at it.
"Do not lose faith. He will have survived." Osferth said, as he squeezed Young Uhtreds arm.
"There is no time. We need to burn Winchester." King Edward spoke up as he walked off. Y/N got up quickly, accidentally throwing her son off of her.
"W-what has happened?" Cynlæf murmered as Y/N patted his head as she watched Finan run after Edward. Y/N knew what would happen now. It was now another battle. Another fight.
"Remember! You will stay hidden! You do not fight unless you are attacked, and it keeps you safe." Y/N said worriedly as she looked at Cynlæf. She looked at the two necklaces on his neck and pulled the cross off. "If anything happens to us or you. You are a Dane!"
"W-what? I do not understand?" Cynlæf asked. He thought he was part Dane. He was part Pagan because of Sihtric.
"Something tells me it is safer to say so." Y/N spoke frankly. The more she looked at Cynlæf over the years, the more she saw Finan in him. Even if his hair was plaited like a Dane, the truth was obvious, and right now, it seemed safer if a child was a Dane.
"I-I understand, mother. I will stay hidden." Cynlæf said before running off. Y/N put the necklace around her neck before running off back to her husbands.

Sihtric informed Y/N of their plans to smoke out Winchester until the guards either died from the smog of the fire or it burned them. Y/N took a shield and followed them to the wall of Winchester to help Edwards men ram the gate. She kept her shield above her head as they shot down their arrows. Her hands tightened around her sword once the gate opened, and the Danes ran towards them. She killed them as they ran towards her. Her eyes tried to adjust to the blackened fog, as she tried to make sure she did not kill one of her own. Her sword clanged as hard as it could when she heard the cry of Sigtryggr and Edward, telling them to "shield wall," Y/N stopped, but kept her sword up as she watched the men infront of her.
"Eadith?!" Osferth gasped, dropping his sword and shield to grab Eadith off the floor. Osferth carried her in his arms back towards them, hiding her between Finan and Y/N. Y/N panted as she looked back at Eadith, almost forgetting about her.
"Sigtryggr, you wish to talk with us?" Edward spoke out, as he appeared beneath the crowds with Æthelflaed.
"There will be no negotiation until we see the captives." Æthelflaed spoke. Sigtryggr smiled at them before turning towards a man.
"Of course." Sigtryggr said as he turned his back to them. "I have kept my word. I do not harm my captives." Sigtryggr turned around slowly, holding a baby in his arms gently. It was Eir.
"I believe this little Danish girl belongs to someone." Sigtryggr said. Y/N dropped her shield, putting her sword away, and ran towards Sigtryggr to take Eir back. Y/N reached for Eir, pulling her into her chest as her eyes started to water. Sigtryggr turned around to take Æthelflaed and Edward to see the captives leave Y/N to embrace her daughter. Her daughter had frown quite a bit, and her hair had started to grow into little curls. Sihtric and Finan approached her, tears forming in their eyes as they looked at their daughter for the first time in a while. Finan kissed Y/Ns head as he stroked Eirs little face. Y/N watched Eirs tiny little hand wrap around the necklace that hung around her throat.
"I told you she was special." Sihtric whispered as he wiped the dirty blood on his clothes to place a kiss on his daughters head.
"That is because she is Y/Ns daughter." Finan added as he looked behind them, a smirk forming on his lips, "looks like Osferth is playing healer." Y/N turned around with a smirk as she watched Osferth wrap a cloth around Eadiths waist.
"Lord?" Sihtric called as he saw Uhtred approach with a bloodied side. His face was conflicted as he looked at them. Y/N approached him as she held her daughter close to her. Uhtred patted Eirs head before sitting down, allowing his men to attend to him.
"Sigtryggr chose to keep Eir alive because she was a Dane. He wanted to keep his kins legacy of true vikings." Uhtred said as he smiled at Y/N. Y/N relaxed at the news and kissed her daughters head.
"Well! At least we know it's better to have Sihtric's heirs than Finans." Father Pyrlig jested, making them laugh.
"Uh. Father. There is nothing wrong with having Irish blood. We are strong, us Irishmen!" Finan added, making them chuckle.

Edward and Æthelflaed eventually appeared with a solemn face as they approached them.
"Have you struck a bargain?" Uhtred asked.
"He... He will take Eoferwic... and agree never to enter Wessex, Mercia, or East Anglia." Edward said awkwardly.
"So you hold, three of the four Kingdoms?" Father Pyrlig confirmed.
"That is no humiliation." Lord Aldhelm added. Y/N noticed the awkward silence that started to arouse between them as she saw Æthelflaed shuffle on the spot.
"Sigtryggr would like to take one of the captives." Æthelflaed said awkwardly as she looked at her brother, "your daughter."
"Which you have refused." Uhtred said lowly, making Y/N stand back to shield her daughter. "Because you know what it is to have your child used in a bargain!"
"Stiorra is not a child." Æthelflaed suprisingly said as she avoided everyone's eyes, "she is a young woman... so we did not refuse." Uhtred stormed off at the sound of her words, making the tension arise even further.
"I wish to speak some honest words to Lady Y/N... about my son... Æthelstan." Edward said awkwardly. Y/N stood up with a nod, handing Eir over to Sihtric, who cooed excitedly at her. Y/N followed Edward around the corners, waiting for him to speak.
"You have looked after my son more than I have ever, and I thank you for that." Edward said, looking at her dead in the eyes. "My son recognises you as a parental figure... and... and he wishes to go back to you."
"I do not understand, Lord King?" Y/N said with a frown.
"My mother has fallen ill and can not care for him. I can not look after him in Winchester without him being threatened. I have given him the choice of what he wishes and he wishes to go with you." Edward spoke with honesty but also sadness and failure. "He is a brave and good-hearted boy, but he will need guidance and you are the only one who can give him that love and protection. That I-I could not." Edwards voice broke at the end as he looked at Æthelstan who sat on the wall in a corner watching them.
"All of your children and anymore you chose to have will be given the title of Lords and Ladies. They will be educated if you choose to allow them so and will have the  protection of Winchester." Y/N shook her head at Edwards fast words that he spat to persuade her.
"I chose to look after Æthelstan because I have a good heart and can not bear to leave a child abandoned. I will bring him up, not because of your offerings but because I care for the boy." Edward nodded and clasped his hand. "I understand and thank you once again!"

Y/N approached Æthelstan with a small smile and opened her arms our, allowing the child to run into her arms.
"Come on then, let's take you home." Y/N said as she reached out her hand for Æthelstan to take. As she walked out Finan and Sihtric looked at her with a confused expression.
"Another child will not hurt." Y/N said as she ruffled his hair. Finan and Sihtric looked at each other with a confused look, but knew the answer. They two had grown to care for the boy and would too protect him, along with Cynlæf and Eir. That the three children would grow up together in Cookham and learn the ways of a true warrior. A Danish warrior!

A/N: What has everyone thought so far. Any comments? Any suggestions or questions?

As always a massive thank you to everyone who has stayed with me since the beginning and has voted and commented along the way. YOU ARE TRULY THE BEST 🩵