3.17

All night, until the morning, each of them took turns to keep watch, knowing Cnut or his men would head near to them. Some of them got little sleep where as others got none. Y/N had spent the night helping Young Uhred collect the bodies of the dead so the people could mourn them.
"There is no time." Sihtric whispered as he waited outside of the door.
"In God's eyes, there is always time for a prayer." Sihtric held Thors Hammer and continued to pace backwards and forwards. Y/N reached for Sihtrics arms, pulling him into a hug.
"Even Cnuts sons seem to be enjoying it." Sihtric looked up to see the twins sat quietly on the bench, rolling their eyes at the scene in front of them.
"I think one just rolled their eyes." Sihtric pointed, his arms still holding her.
"This is why I have to go back. Our son could be without a head." Y/N whispered to Sihtric.
"Where is she? Why is she not ready?" Uhtred called out before Sihtric could speak.
"They mourn the dead." Sihtric said as he followed Uhtred into the hall.

Y/N stayed outside of the hall and leaned on the door. She did not want to see the bodies of the children. She could not stand to see the sight of dead children. There was one as small as her son.
"Danes! The Danes are here, Lord!" Finan called out. Y/N quickly wiped her tears and headed towards Finan with a frown.
"They're heading towards the gates!"  Y/N ran towards the door, waiting for them to come in so she could shut the doors. Her eyes went to Finans when she heard the Danes shouting.
"They've got in." Y/N said as she stayed put by the door, holding her back against it. Finan and Y/N grunted as they tried to hold the door with the broken men.
"What will we do if they enter." Young Uhtred asked, rushing over to help them.
"There's always a plan." Y/N grunted out as she tried to hold it. Lord Aldhelm and Sihtric ran as fast as they could to hold the door as they tried to ram it, but the door was not going to hold. She could hear it start to snap.
"Give me the Lady, and you will not be slaughtered!" A Dane man shouted. Y/N grunted as she held onto the door.
"Finan. It will break!" Y/N grunted at Finan, who decided to ask Æthelflaed for another exit.
"What are we doing, Lord? The door will not hold!" Sihtric shouted as the door was starting snap underneath them.
"Sihtric! Y/N!" Finan shouted.

Y/N and Sihtric ran towards Finan.
"We need Cnuts sons, on the roof now!" Uhtred said to them. "Y/N, you will grab one of the dead bodies but do not let yourself be seen. NOW Y/N!" Y/N grunted at Uhtreds words as she ran to grab one of the deceased children. Her arms reached out to grab the one close to her sons age and held it close to her as she ran up the stairs, keeping herself low. Y/N held her back towards the wood, keeping herself as low as she could holding the dead body as she waited for Uhtreds word on what to do. Finan and Sihtric came forth with the sons held in their arms, waiting for the signal.
"Come and face me! I have Cnuts sons." Uhtred called out as he nodded at Finan and Sihtric to show the boys. A knife held at each of their throats as they thrashed in their arms, crying in fear. Y/N almost felt bad for the twins, but she knew Uhtred had a plan that wasn't going to harm them.
"Leave this place, or I will cut their throats!" Uhtred called out, his hand waving at Y/N to get her ready. Y/N quickly pulled the cloth off the body, trying to make the dead look somewhat tidy.
"Take a son of Cnut, and every Dane in this land will see it avenged!" The Dane shouted.
"Yes, and every Dane will come for you, too. The blood of his child will be on your hands." Uhtred shouted. She could hear the impatience in his voice. "Leave this place of I will cut off their heads." Uhtred shouted once more before he turned to the boy and grabbed him by the throat as the younger twin screamed. Sihtric put his hand over the boys mouth as he ripped his cloak off to give to Y/N, who wrapped it around the dead body before she handed it to Uhtred, to throw over the ledge. The other twin screamed out even louder in fear as he tried to kick Finan.
"Leave! Or I will kill the other one also!" Y/N sat up slightly in case she had to run down again to get another body.

Luckily for them, the Danes retreated instantly, which made her relax slightly. Finan crouched down, showing the boy his brother was alright before releasing him, allowing him to fall on his twin.
"Good job. Now we ride to Tettenhall." Uhtred stated, making Y/N breathe out in relief. Y/N headed down the stairs, leaving her husbands with the boys as she readied the horses.
"I think I owe you a horse." Lady Æthelflaed greeted her with a brown horse. Y/N looked at the horse, noticing its white patch down its nose.
"Thank you." Y/N said as she rubbed the horse gently. "I will ride to Saltwic. I can not leave my son on his own." Æthelflaed nodded at her words but promised she had put things in place. That Stiorra had a plan in place if anyone were to appear.
"If the Lord King does not help us, then we will all die, and my son will be an orphan." Y/N said blankly. "Where my sister Hild will stick him in a Monastery."
"That is a terrible fortune, isn't it!?" Young Uhtred said as he stood next to her. "To be imprisoned in a Monastery where the Pagan God's can't reach him, but there is a small chance Cynlæf could be Finans, so he may be fine!" Æthelflaed scoffed at Young Uhtreds words as she walked off. Y/N pointed a finger at Young Uhtred, warning him of his words.
"We must leave now. Cnut will hunt as soon as he gets word I killed his boy." Uhtred informed his son as he helped get on his horse.
"Surely we just show that they are alive?" Young Uhtred asked.
"The Danes do not work like that." Osferth said as he struggled to get onto his horse with his broken arm.
"What about the boys?" Finan questioned as he looked at the boys.
"Cut them free and let them run. They've served their purpose." Uhtred said as he looked at them. Sihtric gave his horse to Y/N to hold while he went to untie them.
"And was the purpose to enrage a  Danish army?" Y/N stated sarcastically.
"It bought us time and allowed us to escape with our lives. Fate wants to drag us to fight for the Saxons." Finan and Y/N laughed at Uhtreds words. It definitely was not fate.
"Yes. It definitely was fate that dragged us into all of this. Uhtred had nothing to do with it." Finan jested towards Y/N as she laughed.
"I do not seek battles, and battles just seem to seek me." Uhtred said before he looked at Y/N. "You're right. I have unleashed a storm. Maybe it is right that Y/N returns to our children."
"Yu think." Finan said. "Look, it was our fight from the moment yu took those boys from Hæsten, Lord. Y/N will look after the children if someone comes to Saltwic." Y/N nodded as she climbed onto her horse when Sihtric arrived.
"Uh, can I have some help." Osferth called as they started to ride off. Sihtric looked back with a frustrated face as he turned round to help Osferth, muttering, "Why is it always me!"