FORTY FOUR

"So as we can see, we were a able to reach our goal for the quarter but barely. We already identified the main points of improvement but they will require a higher level of investiment. We will go in more detail over the next slides." The brand manager informs.

Her voice fades in the background. I'm absent-mindely doodling in my notepad. It has been like this ever since I've been back to work, more than a month ago.

The job I loved so much, has become a mere task for me. It has nothing to do with the company or any changes in my job to be honest. I'm the one that changed. There are few things that excite me these days.

My phone vibrates on the table, lazily I grab the phone to check who it is.

Chris: Hey! Brunch boy is out for tonight so let's grab a drink! I don't take no for an answer."

Me: I don't even have the energy to fight anymore. So I'll go as long as there is alchool.

Chris: Of course there is! Have I ever took you somewhere with no alchool options?"

Me: True. Anyone else going? Do I need to save energy to be social?"

Chris: I'm thinking more of a besties night out. So it's just us.

Me: Sounds good.

Chris: Great, talk to you later!

I exit the text app and a familiar face appears on my screen. I stare at it for a couple of seconds before blocking my phone. Honestly, life sucks right now. Going back to my doodling, I don't pay the meeting any attention. 

After a painstaking meeting, I go back to my desk. I robotically go over my tasks for the rest of the day.

"God that meeting was pure torture. My brain has checked out for the rest of the day." Alice, my colleague from the finance department plops on the chair next to me.

"Tell me about." I turn my chair to face her.

"At least it's friday." She sighs. "Anyway, I passed your number to my cousin, so he'll be texting you soon."

"Alice, I still dont't think is this a good ideia."

"It's just a date, Zoe. If you like eachother great. If you don't, you can carry on with your separate lives. Until you eventually meet again because of me and that will be awkward." She snorts clearly trying to tease me. 

"Any plans for tonight?" I ask her, trying to change the subject.

"Yeah, going to dinner with some college friends. How about you?" She spins in the chair while talking.

"I'm going to get some drinks with a friend."

"What kind of friend? Don't decide anything without meeting my cousin!" She stops spining abruptly and glares at me.

"For that to happen, my friend needed to like girls in the first place." I reply sarcastically.

"That's a relief." She sighs and I roll my eyes. 

My phone chimes with a message notification. 

Unknown: Hi. I'm James. Alice is my cousin and she gave me your number. Hopefully with your consent...

"It that James?" Alice leans over my shoulder to check the message.

"Yes." I say dryly.