Chapter 31 🩼

"Ok Richie, it looks like your leg is healing up well." The doctor said
"Yeah thanks Doc" Richie replied

They sat in the doctors office awkwardly.  Becky had zoned out.
"Urmm.. Becky let's go" Richie said
"Oh yeah sorry" she replied.

Becky wheeled Richie out of the office and called a taxi. 

When they arrived home Becky and Richie met their Ma sitting in front of the tv. The volume was muted but she was still staring into the tv like she was hypnotised. Becky had always felt that Ma was strong but after Da died Becky realised how human she really was.

The funeral was tough on her. Between the decisions she had to make and coming to terms with the fact that he was gone.

A couple weeks had gone by since the funeral and Richie was the only one in the Armstrong household who was healing.

Ma was not okay, she barely smiled anymore and spent most of the day in one fixed position lost in thought. Da's death was hard on Ma but even more than that Ma felt helpless and petrified that she was eventually going to lose Becky soon too.

Becky was also not okay. She was angrier than usual and colder. This was what was most concerning to Richie because Becky's true self was the complete opposite of that.

Becky needed to stop by her office in order to drop off some documents for her students. Since she started she had not been able to give her students the best shot with all that was happening in her personal life.

Becky left the house a few minutes after she dropped Richie off back home. She walked to campus as per usual and when she arrived at Noey's office they had a guest.

Becky waited outside Noey's office for what seemed like a long time. When the bell rang signalising lunch time Baitoey came out of her office which was right next to Noey's.

"Oh hey!" Baitoey said
"Hi" Becky said averting her eyes
Baitoey noticed that Becky would not look at her and typical to Baitoey, she chose not to press.

"I hope you're doing ok" Baitoey said
Becky looked up at Baitoey finally. She felt guilt about how she had been treating Baitoey especially coldly.
"We're getting there" Becky replied averting her eyes once more
"Can you make sure my students get this" she continued
"Ok...let me leave you" Baitoey said
Baitoey locked her office door with her bag and a few papers in her hand and walked past Becky. She placed her hand on Becky's shoulder and said "If you need anything, you can ask me" Baitoey said

Just then Noey's office door opened and a student exited the room. Becky entered and sat down in front of Noey.

"How are you and your family doing Becky?" Noey asked
"That's why I'm here actually. I've decided to resign," Becky said

Noey was taken back but once they sobered up they smiled at Becky and simply said "Ok".
"I know it's out of the blue and I haven't been able to contribute much since I started. I didn't want to leave the department high and dry but I don't think it's fair on my students to not be afforded the same care and attention as their peers" Becky continued
"I understand" Noey smiled

Becky was a little shocked that Noey did not try to convince her to stay but she had a lot more on her mind.

Becky got up and exited the office and headed home.

When Becky entered the house she noticed a peculiar silence, almost as though Ma and Richie were not in the house. She checked for letters. She was expecting to receive Da's death certificate because of course she was the responsible one, even in this situation.

Under the pile of letters Becky noticed a small cardboard box that was no bigger than a tube of lipstick. She opened it up to reveal a bottle of Marlin's essence.

"Ma!!" She shouted, but there was no response. So Becky rushed to empty the contents of the box onto the table.

The bottle of essence fell out and a small piece of paper rolled up inside dropped out as well. Becky picked it up and opened it. It was a letter from her Da.