34 | Fallen Apart

Vanraj :

I sat back in my office, sipping on my coffee, going through some papers.
Suddenly Malvika rushed into the room, startling me.

"What happened?", I asked, finally looking up.
She looked pale.
I raised a brow as I placed back my cup on the desk.

"The news.", She mumbled.
I turned my seat towards the TV in our cabin and turned on the television.

The "Breaking News" headlines I read sucked the breath out of me.

"SCION OF RATHORES REVEALS THE TRUTH BEHIND RAJESHWAR RATHORE'S DEATH."

Rajeshwar Rathore was practically my grandfather. The man who casually wanted me killed off. But anything relating to his death had to connect with my Dad.

A reporter appeared, "Rajeshwar Rathore, the philanthropist king who had been a member of the Rajya Sabha for a tenure of seventeen years before passing away untimely. He had swore to live no where but in his royal mansion, had been rumoured to have died an untimely death post selling his palace. He was a man of immense respect and had been instrumental in several political decisions. The truth behind his death has finally been revealed, by his great grandson."

I stood up as I looked at the screen. It was Samar, he looked nervous, and with him there was no one else that I could see.
"So is it true that Adityaraj Rathore himself had killed his father?", A journalist asked him.
He gulped and then nodded, "Yes. It is the truth."

"What the-", Malvika mumbled.
"What is he even saying?! How does he-"

Samar continued on screen, "My grandfather was always a frustrated man, so.. when he got his chance of revenge he took it. I did not want to reveal anything.. but my conscience seeked justice.."

"What is he even saying?!", Malvika said, rather enraged now.
"This is not his language... It can't be.. ", I mumbled, the colour left my face. Panic was setting in.

"You are extremely brave.", Some other journalist said, "But.. how did he do this? Do you know anything about it?"
"Ye-yes..", He said, "After selling off all the royal property he left his father homeless in India and headed off to London with all the money. My great grandfather was a man of ideals who refused to stay anywhere but his palace, and hence died suffering.. alone, while his son was enjoying."

I could feel rage seep through me.
I could tolerate my own insult, but a finger raised on my family was intolerable.

Just then my phone rang. I did not see the name and picked the call.

I heard sobs from the other end.
"Hello?"
"Vanraj..", This is Mom.
"Mom?! What-what happened?", I asked, rage turning into a strange feeling of doom.
"Adi..", She mumbled.

"What happened?", Malvika asked as she rushed to my side.
"Mom.. tell me what happened.. please..", I mumbled, almost pleading now.

"Adi.. had a heart attack.", She finally said, "The doc is saying.. it was a major one.. they said they will try..."

The phone slipped from my hand, it fell on the tiled floor.

Suddenly everything seemed to black out and blur.

Malvika immediately held my hand.
She looked tensed.
"Raj.. what happened?", She asked softly.
"Papa.. he-he had a heartattack..", I could barely mumble.

My own son had gone and given out a family secret to the world to butcher our family's business. The dent was not just emotional, it was going to be financial as well. I could already see the Rathore Group hit the dead end at the Stock Market.

"Wha-what..", Malvika mumbled.
The television continued to blare before my eyes. I looked up at it through a blur of tears.

"And tell us.. what about your father? He abruptly married Miss Singhania after his divorce due to adultery.", The journalist asked.
The masala that this news was, she knew.
"We-we must leave right now.", Malvika said finally snapping out of shock.

"I will see this thing and come. You run.", I muttered.
I needed to know how far this had gone.

How much worse.

Malvika said nothing else, realising the situation as instantly jogged out of the cabin.

I looked at the confusion in Samar's eyes. This was out of syllabus.
"Was your father in the intention of taking over the Singhanias? Is he a gold digger?", Another journalist asked.

"No! He's nothing of that sort!", Samar snapped.
"That Malvika.. she's the one. She must have lured him. He was always apologetical about whatever wrong he did. He wanted to get back with my mother but she came in the middle.", He said.

I drew in a sharp breath.

"So you are saying Malvika Singhania purposely trapped Vanraj Rathore in her love?", The journalist asked with a satisfied grin.

"Ye-yes maybe-"

I picked up a paper weight and threw it at the television with all the strength that I had.

The screen shattered.

"Enjoyed, darling?", I heard her voice.

Arshi stood at the door casually smiling.
She was exceedingly sensuous for sure. I remembered being absolutely smitten the first time I saw her.

But today, I felt a surge of loath.

"A war with the world would have been easy, but a war with your own blood? How does that sound?", She asked.

"Why?", I asked, a tear of rage escaped my eye.

"Because I hate you, honey. And hate is always stronger than love.", She whispered with a wink.

Only if I could kill, she would have been dead by now.
But I realised, a word gone wrong now, would mean eternal destruction.

"Now.. I should leave.", She said before walking away, victoriously.

I stood in silence.

My whole world had fallen apart.

•••