7 ✦ Alatus

I SLOWLY opened my eyes

Morning light was peeking through the room's orange and red flower print curtains. The little Inn in Quince Village was decorated in a theme inspired by its renowned flower fields.

I attempted to sit up and winced as an excruciating pain shot through my left side.
Memories of last night flashed in my head.
I looked around frantically and realized I was in the Inn's room. Paimon was asleep on the bed next to me, we had rented a double bedroom.

I must have fallen asleep when Xiao carried me.

I bit my lower lip anxiously and headed in the shower. When I finished I changed into my usual adventurer white and gold raiment and stepped out to Paimon shouting.

"You're awake!!!! Paimon was SO worried about you last night!"

She flew over to give me a hug.

"You passed out while Xiao was carrying you. You must be so exhausted."

She stared at me with a worried look. I ran a towel through my wet hair while we talked. We threw our shoes on and headed for breakfast.

"Oh.. Xiao said that his karmic debt doesn't affect you. Is that true?"

"Hey! You're up!! Good morning Traveler!"

Xingqiu made a few selective choices from the breakfast buffet and sat down with us.

I proceeded to explain to them the whole story of what transgressed last night while we ate.

"Wow..." Paimon whispered impressed.

"Paimon can't believe it. The Traveler saved the Conqueror of Demons?!"

She bit into some toast that had Sunsettia jam spread over it.

"So thats what he meant last night..." Xingqiu scratched his head and chuckled.

"What do you mean?" I prompted.

"I kind of thought he might be your, well... romantic partner."

He giggled. Both me and Paimon choked on our food.

"What?!?!" We said in unison.

"W-what makes you say that!"

My cheeks felt hot.

Xingqiu laughed.

"Well, I'm not exactly an expert in romance, but what he said last night reminded me of passages I'd read in novels that had romantic material and so...." I

smacked the table and the glasses and plates vibrated.

"WHAT did he say?!?"

Paimon stared at me with a smirk.

"Um, Traveler, why are you red?"

I turned my head and gave her a deathly look as I pointed my fork at her.