21 ✦ At the Mercy of a Fallen Star

THE TALL and light copper-haired Harbinger walked inside a dark room as he shoved aside a few dark violet curtains hanging from all over the room's ceilings

There must have been at least a dozen curtains sprawled out down the room. Only lanterns, a few wall lit torches and candles on wooden tables casted light inside the eerie room. The tables were full of strange objects, crystals, concoctions and books.

At the time of day, small narrow gothic tinted windows casted multiple colored lights against the hundreds of piled up books all over the passage way. The walls had built-in shelves filled with various sized books, some in good condition and some with the tailcap just barely holding on to the book's spine.

Various candles of different colors and sizes were placed on small round tables here and there throughout the room. Childe tripped on a hissing black cat and cursed while he made his way down a long narrow passage that was hard to get through as it had countless piles of books stacked up on each side.

He reached the end and took a right as the passage lead into a larger circular area where the mage was holed up in front of a large gemstone carved table. The table was filled with test tubes, plants that looked unfriendly, vials and a large impressive variety of bottles filled with every colour possible — some glowing, some swirling restlessly, some seemed to contain various insects, fireflies and other creeping things.

"Do you have it?" The mage's deep and husky voice asked without looking to check behind him as he fumbled with a concoction.

"Trust you have a third eye on the back of that head of yours..." Childe responded a little weirded out. "I got it. Listen-"

The mage interrupted him as he was whisking something inside a small cauldron.

"Yes, yes. Don't break anything inside her head. You've only told me about 45 times."

"Look. You and Dottore love to get carried away in your.. experiments. But it'll be your heads served on icy platters to the Tsaritsa if you accidently break the Traveler's mind. You'd do well to remember that before you sever the connection."

The masked mage turned around to shoot him a glare.

"You insult me. There is no need to repeat yourself. I am perfectly fit to tell the difference between test subjects, and the Traveler's. I know more about her significance in all of this than you..." he let out a wicked laughed that was slightly unhinged and Childe frowned.

"You? Know more than the Harbingers? Tch, please." He rolled his eyes and handed him the tube that contained a strand of Lumine's hair.

"You're the lowest ranked Harbinger, and I work directly with the Leader's second hand, the doctor. I may not be a Harbinger.. but I manipulate magic and spells as old as the gods."