14 ✦ Shanxiao

A WEEK HAD PASSED since Lumine had last seen Childe

A WEEK HAD PASSED since Lumine had last seen Childe. She had spent a lot of time with Zhongli learning all that she could from him. Childe had been busy and returned to Snezhnaya for a few days and Xiao occasionally would linger in the back of her mind. They were having lunch at an outdoor restaurant in the Harbor.

"Have you seen Xiao recently? How is he?" He looked at her casually. "M

"I have seen him a few times this week indeed. He is well as far as I can tell." I pouted.

"Kinda wish I had fancy adeptus teleportation so I could just.. pass by and see him from time to time."

His gaze lingered on me for so long I looked up.

"Hmm? Something on my face?"

"Nay child. I am delighted he has a special friend such as yourself."

I mindlessly poked at the table with my chin against my hand as I brooded quietly.

Zhongli let out a long sigh.

"Honestly. If you want anything to move forward, or perhaps go in a different direction, I dare say you'll have to be open to him directly about it. I have known Alatus a very long time and he is...peculiar. That is to say he believes he does not deserve good things to come to him and he will stubbornly avoid them. However, I understand the burden of conveying one's feelings to another. Even someone such as this old god have not done so with the one whom I feel enraptured by... in the passed 3000 years."

I looked up at him in disbelief. "Wait... there is someone you.. have loved for 3000 years and you've never said anything to them?"

"Aye."

"That's...torment. Why would you do that? Are they still alive?"

I felt sad for him.

"They are indeed."

"Zhongli, that's crazy, you should say something. You don't ..want to?"

"Sometimes loving someone, is doing so to the best of your capabilities without ever telling them directly. Especially when one knows that it will be unrequited love. It would be senseless and cause strain on both myself and the individual." He said gently.

"How do you know they wouldn't accept your feelings?" I asked.

"Because they already loved someone else at the time who passed away and it broke them for a very long time. And I believe that currently there is someone.. important."

I looked down.

"I'm so sorry. Well, maybe we can be sad about it together. I'm pretty sure my... feelings are unrequited too anyway. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised at all, I'm kind of expecting it."

I laughed softly and took a sip of my Dawning Dew drink, a mixture of juice and fizzy water.

"I wouldn't be so sure."