26 ✦ Euthymia & A Secret Love

THE VIGILANT YAKSHA stared off into the distance quietly

It was nightfall and the moonlight lit up the horizon. Crickets could be heard in the background. A faint sound of movement was heard and he looked down slowly. Zhongli was seen standing on the terrace looking into the horizon. The back of his long dark brown and gold ponytail had a beautiful moonlight reflected sheen.

"Good evening Alatus."

"Rex Lapis. Good evening." He replied.

Zhongli turned and looked up at him sitting on the edge of the terrace.

"Has your search been fruitful today?"

"Hmm. I'm afraid fruitful isn't the correct term. I saw her tonight."

"Oh?" Zhongli crossed his arms and observed him calmly.

"And?"

"She is fine. I did not attempt to engage with her. She had.. company."

"Care to elaborate? You don't seem thrilled." Zhongli replied curiously.

"I am not. T'would appear she has someone else by her side now."

Zhongli's eyebrow casually rose up followed by a thoughtful frown.

"How can you be certain?"

"Her heart beats for him."

The ex Geo archon let out a sigh and jumped up on the tiled roof to sit down next to the Adeptus.

"Someone's heart can beat quickly for various reasons."

"I know. But it was quite clear. There is no mistake."

"You should've spoken to her Alatus. This may all be a misunderstanding. I'm sure she would want to see you."

"His scent was always on her clothes even in Liyue. I do not understand... it seemed she greatly disliked him. But I had a feeling this would occur."

"Ah..." Zhongli responded, finally understanding.

"The Harbinger from Liyue. Yes. He had an eye for her." He said nodding.

They sat for a while in silence and then Zhongli decided to break the silence.

"I do think you should find a better confirmation than her heart beat Alatus. That is not enough."

"I overheard them speaking. It was more than enough. I do not require further proof. I saw the way she looked at him..." he said in a low tone.

"Will you confront him?" Zhongli asked, looking out and the mountains nonchalantly.

"I seldom confrontations such as these. It would be pointless. I shall not force my feelings unto her if this is what she wants. Besides... I had a premonition that she would develop and harbour feelings for the Harbinger in time. That is why I wish to keep my distance."