45 ✦ The Second

[This chapter contains some mild spice]

"Woohoo!! The Sabzeruz Festival is today!!!" Paimon clapped her hands when we stepped out of the Inn to go out for breakfast.

"Yeah and we get to see Nilou perform!" I replied with a smile. For one, I was excited to experience yet another festival from a region. I had nothing but fond memories of the Lantern Rite in Liyue all things considered and was looking forward to experience it in Sumeru.

"The Sabzeruz Festival has many traditions associated with it, including the Haft-Mewa Feast, where people set their tables with seven different types of foods, and Farris the Knight of Flowers, a figure popular with children that an actor plays during the festival. The most important part of the festival is the Dance of Sabzeruz, which is based on the Goddess of Flowers' dance."

I recalled Nilou's description of the festival the other day and yawned.

"Paimon wants waffles this morning!!"

"With strawberries and whipped cream?" I turned to her with a wide grin and she basically exploded into a tiny ball of serotonin. We stopped inside a little local cafe for breakfast. Two hours later after eating our fill, we made our way towards the Grand Bazaar. 

When we got there it was brightly decorated for the festival with lots of flowers. There were all kinds of food vending carts there all selling their own specialities, as well as carts selling souvenirs and merchandise based on the festival and the Goddess of Flowers. I ended up buying a small plushie of the Goddess of Flowers for Paimon.

"Paimon needs a new sleeping partner for whenever the Traveler disappears with Childe you know!" I sighed. Whom was I to deny her a sleeping plushie?

After that I watched Paimon participate in games with the children and soon the others joined us for the festival; amongst a few was Dunyarzad, Nilou, Dehya, Tighnari and Collei, and I was introduced to some of their mutual friends. A woman with the most gorgeous bronze skin by the name of Candace, a lively guy called Sethos, and Cyno who apparently was a General of the Akademiya.

"Wait, you're in the Akademiya? I recently met someone who works there as the Scribe." I conversed casually. His face contorted into a frown before changing back to normal.

"I see. I know the Scribe. There are many people in the Akademiya, be careful who you trust however." He replied dryly and I looked around wondered if maybe the guy was just having a bad day. Funny enough, he seemed to loosen up and soften every time Nilou came around.

"Ah, Traveler, I see you met the General Mahamatra." Nilou walked over and gestured towards him with a grin. His serious expression immediately melted into a softer one and I dare say I almost caught a small hint of a smile? Either way, he had a soft spot for her, that much was clear. Nilou had a way with people. I think she softened everyone with her warmth and smile.