Class

El's POV:
It's senior year, and I'm on my way to class. We have Mrs Benton, who hates me for no reason. I didn't really care though, as soon as school finishes I'm out of here, I wanna be a cop eventually, just Hopper. He's the chief of Hawkins police, and my dad.

I walked into the classroom, and Mrs Benton already gave me a dirty look when I walked in. I just rolled my eyes and before I reached my seat she spoke. "I'm not a fan of that attitude Miss Hopper. And is that part of the school dress code?" She asked, looking me up and down disapprovingly.

I looked down at my outfit and scoffed, this is literally what I was wearing.

"Yes it is

"Yes it is. Now can I sit?" I asked, looking back up at her.
"Not until I know for sure. Come with me." She grabbed me by the wrist and was about to bring me outside the room until she bumped into someone.

"Oh- sorry." Mrs Benton apologised, walking past the ginger girl. It was Max. We weren't really friends, most of time we'd just ignore each others presence.
"It's ok. Where are you taking El?" She asked, looking at us.
"I'm taking Miss Hopper to the principal's office. You can enter the classroom, I'll be back in a minute." The teacher said.
"Why are you taking her?" Max asked.
Mrs Benton turned to her. "Tell me Miss Mayfield. Does this outfit look like it fits in our school dress code?"

Max looked me up and down, eyes lingering on my body and face. "Looks fine to me." She smiled.
Mrs Benton gave me a frown and I rolled my eyes. "Attitude!" She shouted. I chuckled and Max did too.
"I'll take her to lesson. Take a minute out here to breathe if you'd like." Max said, walking towards me and putting a hand around my shoulder.
Our teacher gave us a once over before nodding, "Ok, I'll only be a couple seconds."
Max smiled and turned around as we headed back to the classroom. "Thanks for that, you didn't need to help me you know." I said.
"I know. I just wanted to. Plus, she was taking you there for no reason anyway." Max said as we entered the classroom.

She pulled her arm away slowly as she walked to her seat in the corner of the room. I walked to my seat too, which was diagonal from Max's. And before I knew it, Mrs Benton walked back in.

"Morning class! Can everyone turn to pages 125 and 126 please." She asked. Everyone groaned but did as they were told.

Halfway into the lesson, I felt my phone vibrate from inside my pocket. I slowly took it out, hiding it slightly so the teacher didn't see. I turned it on and saw it was a notification from Max. That's weird, I gave Max my number at the start of freshman year, but we had barely texted at all. Probably just an occasional hi or asking for homework answers or something.

I turned around and saw Max looking at me, but that just confused me more. I opened the text, 'hey, we're kinda similar' I read mentally.
I frowned, not understanding what she meant. 'how?' I texted back.
'we're both fine as hell' I blushed and turned back to Max. She smirked at my red cheeks but before I could say anything, the old lady had to interrupt us again.

"Miss Hopper! I want to see your face, not your back!" She shouted.
I groaned in annoyance but turned back around, slipping my phone back into my pocket.
The lesson continued as normal, but I kept thinking of Max's text message, finding myself smiling whenever I did.

It was weird, but I liked it. Maybe Max and I will be friends.

648 words