"I'm listening."

A/N: i don't have any real ideas rn (feel free to leave any suggestions) so I'm just gonna do some short stories

Max's POV:
"How do you feel?" El asked me as I sat down on the ground, a bouquet of flowers in my hand.
"Angry." I answered, placing them down.
"Could you tell me why?"

I sighed through my nose, "So many people at school are talking shit behind my back. Spreading lies about me, and you."
"Oh. I don't understand."
"It's devastating. No matter how many times I try to tell them the truth, nobody even listens." I continued as tears welled up in my eyes.
"And...?" She urged.
"Not that they'd care to listen anyway, because they wouldn't want to. Maybe it's better if I just believe what they say. Believe I'm just a liar."

"You're not a liar Max."
Tears rolled down my cheeks as I carried on, "But I feel like... like I'm gonna explode the more I keep it to myself. And I become numb, like I'm a child again. Just like I was when I had to beg my parents to listen."

"It's okay honey, I'm listening."
A sob escaped my lips, "I know, you're the only one who listens without me having to ask." I laid my head on the dry ground, "It's not the same without you Ellie."

"Shh... it's okay. You can cry and let it all out, I'm here Max."
I sniffed as I sat up, making the flowers look nice and neat around her gravestone. "I wish you were still alive. I know we'd be able to get through everything together. I'm so sorry for everything he did to you."
"It's not your fault."
I grabbed the watering can from beside me and began to make the ground that covered her, damp. "Here, so the flowers can grow. I brought your favourite ones." I wiped my tears with my sleeve as I set the can down. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay? Same time as always." I turned to walk away.

"Wait- don't leave yet."
I looked at the grave, confused. But then I remembered her voice was just in my mind. Not real, just something there to comfort me.

Either way, I sat down beside the gravestone, and overlooked the view of Hawkins from the hill we were sat on. It's the same hill Dustin put his cerebro years ago. Funny to think El was running up and down it not long ago.

"What are you trying to show me?" I asked quietly.
"Look up, stupid."

I chuckled and looked up, my eyes widening as I saw the gorgeous shades of orange and pink above me. "Woah..." I mumbled, looking around.
"I put in a lot of work for it, I was waiting until you came to show you. Just remember that I'm here, no matter what, okay? You can always speak to me."

I looked at her, feeling like I could burst into tears again. "Yeah." I choked out, standing up. "I gave flowers to your mama earlier. I thought she might like them." I said, looking at her mum's grave a few metres away.
"Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow?"
"You know it. Bye Ellie, I love you."
"I love you too."

549 words