Look at me, okay?

Max's POV:
I'm in school right now, it's the last lesson and I'm so bored. I looked over to El and saw her writing notes in her book. She looks so pretty and I found myself staring at her lips.

"Mayfield! The board is this way!" The teacher shouted. Ugh, what a bitch.
I sighed and hesitantly looked away from my girlfriend. As soon as Mrs Benton looked away, I ripped the corner of my page out and wrote on it.

'can we go to the bathroom' It said. I sneakily handed it to El from under the table, and she read it and gave me a questioning look.
'why?' She wrote. She handed it back and I looked at her. I found my eyes trailing down to her lips again and she must've noticed since she smiled.

My eyes met hers again and I saw her cheeks were slightly red. She nodded and I smiled as I put my hand up.
"Yes?" The teacher asked.
"May I use the bathroom?" I asked sweetly.
She sighed, "Yes, but when you're back I want you to be completely focused on the board. Not Miss Hopper." Now it was my turn to turn red. El laughed slightly as I looked at her.
"Of course Miss." I said, winking at El before leaving with my bag.

I hurried to the bathroom, and luckily no teachers saw me on the way. I opened the door to the bathroom and no one was in here. I went into a stall and sat on the top of the toilet, where the flush is. Now all I have to do it wait for El.

5 minutes later, I heard the toilet door swing open. "Max?" I heard El say.
I smiled, "In here." I left the door unlocked for her so she just opened it and locked it behind her.
She turned to face me. "You were focused on me, huh?" She teased.
I stood up and walked towards her, "Can you blame me?" I asked, pinning her against the wall. "You're gorgeous."
I leaned in and kissed her softly, lifting her shirt slightly so I could put my hands on her bare waist.
She smiled against my lips and put her arms around my neck, pulling me closer.

We made out for a few minutes until we heard a loud bang. We pulled away, looking at each other confusedly.
"What was that?" I asked.
"I don't know. Shall we go che-" We heard another one. But this time we knew what it was. A gunshot.

Fear flashed in both of our eyes and I grabbed El's arm and rushed us to the corner of the stall. We crouched down, trying to stay as quiet as possible.
El jumped every time we heard it, so I put my arms around her and held her close. She put her head on my chest, and I stroked her soft hair.

I heard her shaking breaths, and another gunshot. "We're ok. We're gonna be ok." I soothed quietly.
I felt her hold me closer, "I don't wanna die." She whispered. "I can't lose you."
Sadness washed over me, "You won't. I promise." I said.

Over 10 minutes passed, and gunshots were still going. By now we were both silently crying, praying it would end soon. Where the fuck is the police?

Suddenly, we heard the bathroom door slam into the wall. And El flinched against me. We saw a shadow from the gap under the stool. And blood trails.
El looked at them, and her eyes were full of fear. The shooter was in the bathroom with us. We froze, any movement or sound and we were dead.

We heard the taps turn on, and the water ran for a few seconds until silence came over us again. The person left, and we heard screams and wails as more gunshots went off.

El kept looking at the blood on the floor, and now she was crying quietly. I pulled away from the hug, and moved my shaking hands to her cheeks.
Her eyes kept going to the blood, "El, look at me." I whispered.

She looked into my eyes, and my heart broke at how terrified she looked. Her eyes were full of tears and pain, miles away from how happy she was just 15 minutes ago.

I wiped the tears off her cheeks. "W-who's blood is that?" She whispered, her voice breaking.
"I don't know. But don't look at it. Look at me, okay?" I answered quietly.
She nodded, and kept her eyes on mine.

And a minute later, we finally heard sirens from outside. We heard doors fly open, and shouts coming from the entrance. "We're ok." I said. I hugged her tight as we both sobbed in each others arms.

The bathroom door opened, and we heard multiple voices. "Girls?" We heard a familiar voice say, "Where the fuck are they?!" Hopper.
I didn't pull away from El, "We're in here." I said.
Hopper kicked the door open, and he saw us.

He immediately rushed to us, engulfing us both in a massive hug. "I'm so glad you're ok." He said. "Let's go home. Max, you can stay with us." He said.
He pulled away and helped us up. "W-what about the boys?" I asked.
He smiled sadly, "They're all okay."
El and I looked at each other, relieved everyone was okay.

We walked out the stall, and El didn't look at the blood. We walked into the hallways, dead bodies, blood, police.

El hates stuff like this, she always snuggles into my chest when it's in a movie. Imagine in real life? With people we saw laughing and running about at lunch?

I looked over to her, and she was looking around, her eyes full of terror. I put my arm around her shoulder and turned us around from the chaos. We headed to the exit.
"Take deep breaths El." I said. "We're going to your cabin."
She nodded and put her arm around my waist. I kissed her cheek.

"We're okay."

1020 words