C4 Confrontation

As of 03/12/2024, this chapter and all before is are rewritten. I hope all enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sound of squabbling filled the air as words flew about within the wilderness. Four adventurers were arguing over the results of a hunt, the inconsistencies of their collected trophies raising concerns over their totaled reward. They were mostly younger in years, yet one was old enough still to be a guardian of the former three himself. The party was diverse in local races, consisting of a female elf, a female beastkin, and two human males. They had half a day's travel at best to their destination, though it did little to ease their nerves about the subject when concerning pay. The argument was, in hindsight, pointless, something they'd chosen to endure over the boredom of walking for hours on end. A more pressing matter than any had considered fell within their lap, with little warning to their party to consider. There was the sudden echo of yelling, something that, at first, was nothing of concern. It was the next moment that changed that fact, prompting much worry as something stumbled from the forest. A girl, no older than possibly eight suns of age, an arrow, bloody and glistening, struck through her chest.

"I've got her!"

Hatsumi, a war mage and the group's beast kin, said shakily, flowing mana onto the wound as she replaced blood at the same rate the small girl lost it. The white dress was soaked; it was everything Chessa, the elf, and scout, could manage to raise the shirt without turning the girl over. Small bubbles of blood formed upon the wound on the girl's chest and back.

"She's breathing again."

Chessa very carefully grabbed at the front of the arrow shaft, clenching it tightly as she broke the tip.

"On three!"

Chessa spoke as clearly as she could manage. They were accustomed to rendering medical aid, but for such impromptu treatment and for a child of all things, unsettled them with unpleasant memories.

"One."

The two kept watch of each other as they readied their mark.

"Whoever fired isn't far behind. I can hear them down the hill!"

Stannis, an ex-Paladin, one of the men, spoke with urgency, raising his kite shield and mace. Tapping the blunt weapon against the shield's frame, Stannis urged Callum, the other human and swordsman of the group, to join him as a wide section of hexagonal shapes formed in front of them.

"Two."

Chessa muttered, slowly prying the shaft out of the girl's back.

"Three!"

The elf yanked the wooden shaft free, blood flowing profusely from the entry and exit wound. Hatsumi, doubling her efforts, now had the means to seal the wound and stabilize the girl.

"Hatsumi! We're gonna need you here!"

Callum yelled, the blur of assailants shuffling out of the woodline prompting urgency in his voice. Hatsumi grabbed Chessa's wrist just as the elf reached for her short bow.

"Take over from here."

Hatsumi ordered, her ears at attention as she attempted to tally the numbers of their visitors through sound alone.

"Aye."

The elf dropped her hands to the child's wounds, mana flowing likewise into the same stitching pattern typical of a career healer.

"I'm up!"

Hatsumi yelled, her body rising with the speed of an experienced warrior yet the fluidity of an actual war mage. Electricity crackled wildly as a string of lighting stretched between her palms, and a shaft of light rose from either side of her enclosed fist. It was as if she drew a bow of light, the noise settling as she held ready to unleash the magic.