V2 C95

"Kiyomiii, sweetie, hello?"

The snap of fingers broke me from my thoughts as Mother accompanied me through the market.

"Ah, sorry. Where were we?"

I asked, the change in scenery hitting me all at once. I'd apparently spaced out.

"Kiyomi-tch."

Mother shook her head, frustration barely leaking out.

"A moment ago you were ogling the dresses and you can't even remember where you are now..."

Mother mumbled a moment before sighing.

"We came to get Beryl a gift, didn't we?"

She mellowed out her tone.

"You spoke about her sixteenth coming up and wanted to get her something."

Ah, what the- I did? I did, but I didn't think of it today. Did I space out?

"Ah, yeah."

I shook my head, trying to clear out a fog that'd just lost its hold.

She's still holding on, good.

"Though, I'm still trying to figure out where to start. Her being a Lamia, there's not much I can get for her without questioning her directly."

I took in the market around us, stall upon stall lining the crowded streets. A Smith selling assorted parts and materials here, a merchant selling foreign textiles there. A great majority though were simply selling food traded from the farms that surrounded the city walls en masse. The smell of spices and the occasional food cart filled the relatively undisturbed and shaded air. The sound of handcarts, the beating of textiles, and manually operated flour mills were drowned out by conversation, haggling, and advertisement by the various merchants.

"Well, the best way to start is by browsing. Let's split up and meet back at the plaza. We'll both look for something for her."

Mother proposed, waving a finger in the air as she turned to walk the other way.

"Why not, I'd figure if I don't find something then I can backtrack in case you find anything."

I felt inside my gambeson, just under my chest. It was still there, a small pouch of gold coins I'd kept on me for emergency purchases.

Still at a loss though. I can't ask Beryl what she'd want because she'd blow it off. 'You don't have to get me anything.'

I rolled my eyes as I imagined her words.

Bullshit I don't. You'll be an adult, girl. As a friend, it's my duty to get you something.

I strolled through the market, eyeing the odd trinket. A ring here, a silver inlaid pen there. A cutlery set caught my eye at some point but I doubted she would want it much. Passing another stall, the glint of sunlight on Mother of Pearl caught my attention.

"Huh, I haven't seen one of these in a while."

Doubt it would make a good gift, but it's neat.

It was a guitar, though slightly odd compared to the unusual six-string. A rosewood neck with frets so dull that one couldn't tell if they were wrought iron or silver.

Could I even play this thing reliably?

Part of me reached out in curiosity, a hand clasping around the neck and another cradling the body of the guitar.