C79 Winter's story 9

"Morning, how'd you sleep?"

Father nodded to me, turning away from the Captain as I placed the plate in my lap.

"Slept okay... "

I mumbled, idly pecking at my eggs with my finger. Everything we managed to grab was so rushed that we'd only just managed to grab something to cook and eat with. Utensils were limited to whatever knives anyone kept on hand, and a spoon for pourage and stew. Grabbing a clump of the scrambled egg, I placed it in my mouth and chewed idly. I wasn't much for eating at the moment, my appetite escaping me until I'd be hungry enough to be in pain.

No salt... no pepper... gross.

I wanted to complain about the taste, but sleep was all I could really bring myself to complain about anymore. Compared to Papa and the others, I was sure I didn't have as much to worry about. The grown ups were always quiet around me since we left, probably thinking they shouldn't be discussing things around a little girl.

"You know, I talked to the Godess..."

Papa continued with his speech casually, but hesitation could be heard In his voice.

It wasn't uncommon for Mama to speak to Lady Solah, but Lady Solah was never physically around. Mama would just start talking with her out of nowhere and convey to us anything that was sharable. I'd seen her once or twice, but that was when i was super little. Has she started talking to Papa now? Why can't she just help us? What good is a God if she let this happen... useless God...

I continued listening, returning my attention to Papa's words only a few sentences in.

"She said there is somewhere nearby we can take you. There's some people who would probably take care of you and your Aunt until me and your mother return."

At father's words, I reached to the side and grabbed his shirt. Curling my hand into a ball, I did my best to hold on as tight as possible.

"I'm staying with Papa."

I continued chewing, using my other hand to put food into my mouth.

"Kiyomi, it's too dangerous. We've talked about thi-"

I cut Papa off, glaring up at him as I swallowed my food.

"Bubby Erik said it would be okay. Sissy said it would be okay. Mama said it would be okay. Now I'm left with Papa. I'm staying with you, not some fat lord I don't know with some spoiled booger eating kids."

Papa stared back down to me, his expression shifting between anger and concern.

"We'll talk about it when we get there. You could like it, you never know."

I grumbled as I released his shirt, resigning myself to finishing my meal. As I resumed my eating, Auntie Sarah broke the conversation apart. Seated across from us, her own plate was now in her lap.

"Juro, as Bjorn said, we should set out again in half an hour. Apparently the Morrisons tailing us managed to make good time. We'll clear the cart and tie anything we can't leave behind to the cart's side so Kiyomi can sleep in the back. I'll join her, that way you can have peace of mind as you lead from Goro's saddle."

The Captain, apparently named Bjorn, spoke next.

"Aye Lord, the minute my men are finished with their meals We'll begin packing. You two just worry about the miss."

Bjorn raised a small notebook from his side.

"This is an inventory of every arm we have at hand given the Morissons catch up. Aside from Wyrms tooth-"