C36

Ugh- tired...

"Hey, you two, I'm gonna sit down for a minute."

I said as I leaned against the doorframe of the smithy's entrance. We were currently waiting there for Callum and Mother; they were still not back from fetching the chickens. I was drowsy since the night prior I had a set of nightmares. The first was clearly from earth, and the other was an incoherent dream from Kiyomi's memories. Some riding on a cart, and random scribbling into a book that looked extremely familiar. I'd gotten enough sleep, but I still felt exhausted to some degree.

"You sure you're okay?"

Vaughn asked, his arm's crossed as he leaned back against a fence post.

"I'm sure... just a moment of shut-eye."

I slowly brought my knees to my chest and crossed my arm's over them, with my tail curling around my legs. It didn't take long for me to doze off; the last thing I could recall directly at that moment was Vaughn and Beryl taking a seat nearby and talking about something.

...Great... This again... can I not get any peaceful sleep? 

"Sergeant... Sergeant! Wake up!"

No... not this one... please not this one. I already had it last night...

I was being shaken by my shoulder, my body was shivering thanks to the slightly chilly temperatures and sleeping outside of our tents. I was off of watch, replaced by our platoon leader, who had pulled me off of performing double shifts to get some rest.

"Sergeant, wake up-"

"Rawlins, what in the flying fuck is it?"

I snapped under my breath at the private who was shaking my shoulder rather gently.

"Lieutenant Reyes wants to see you, Sarge. Say's you might have a better idea of something we're seeing just outside the wire. It's really blurry on the NVG's."

I cracked my eyes open, the lids scratching over my eyes, giving an itchy feel. 

Every damn time, it almost doesn't feel like a dream.

"And he specifically asked for me?"

I asked, shooting Private Rawlins a sour look. 

"And I quote, 'Private, go get the Staff Sergeant' after he put down the NVG's."

I dropped my head back in frustration, my helmet stopping me from looking straight up.