C58 Opening breeze, fading flowers 5

With the next week's passage, Beryl seemed unable to escape her rut. Random bouts of happiness would suddenly derail, and she'd shut herself in. By the time she was allowed to roam as she wanted and we were free to use Claire's Garden, she practically begged to do practical exercises with Mother at the city walls. It Was supposedly the first time she'd ever taken a demanding tone with anyone as well.

"Mister..."

Vaughn strained to catch his breath as he maintained his posture, holding a low-plank position.

"-Callum... do you think I could rest? This was supposed to be a break from training."

The words were forced through Vaughn's lips, his face turning red as he did.

"Physical training can be done at little harm to yourself and will do you plenty of good in the future, boy. Besides, you gonna let your friend over there out do you?-"

Vaughn could be seen shooting a glance up at Beryl, then over at myself before finally locking eyes with Callum.

"- She might win your little competition. Hold on for another minute, then you can start stretching."

From my own position, I could barely make out what words of encouragement were given. Immediately after however, Vaughn position ceased any change from strain. A strong pat was given between Vaughn's shoulder blades, the barely audible crunch of an apple soon accompanying it.

Its almost like looking at myself from before in third person, what the hell.

I was given a sense of deja vu from the sight. Opposite of them, Callum set me aside and told me to simply practice using my skill, Cleave, to cut at the air. All I had to do was swing and shift positions into another stance, then swing once more. All I did was repeat the action, though it was slightly awkward, given I wasn't large enough to maneuver my sword without chopping at the ground.

I understand. They're strong kids, but still. What we saw, the messages. Who could decide to go back into what we're doing so readily?

I stepped forward for the next repetition, the sound of the blade swinging through the air with a characteristic 'woosh.' The ease of following through with Cleave felt strange, as if a secondary force was pushing at the muscles up through my back, chest, and arms.

Beryl's change in mood had never taken such an extreme shift before, her image nearly mirroring that of my sister from Earth amidst some rebellious fit.

A small part of myself suddenly felt the urge to stop practicing, to stamp my feet and say no. Pushing the feeling down, I vented the frustration by throwing it through the next swing. At that moment, my change in position brought Mother and Beryl into the center of my sight.

"Calm, Beryl. You have to feel the flow of your mana. Let it pool in your hands."

Mother and Beryl were training in a much lighter use of lightning magic than the form she used when fighting the Bulette. Opting instead of teaching her forms that would guarantee a kill immediately to something controllable that could be used repeatedly.

"Okay, like this, Miss Hatsumi?"

Beryl's arms were raised, awkwardly imitating a similar position to Mother's. The forward arm was raised straight out with the hand balled into a fist, and two fingers pointed forward from this. Presumably, it was to direct the spell.

Hmm, seems familiar.

My attention had been caught as I was temporarily distracted.

"Yes, like that. Feel the energy amassing in your fist. Wield it in your fist as if you were holding a rope."