C51

Staring at the door as it closed, Lorns body relaxed as she continued speaking; Sighing as she continued.

"Cressida, you and your wife will be moved in downstairs as soon as can be afforded. In the meantime, Beryl can stay in one of the spare rooms closest to the stay-in quarters with Hatsumi and the others. Gregor, for recognition of the special requirements of wherever you are housed, you may have to make do with a sanctioned home not far from here. All of your drafting equipment will be moved for you whenever the time comes, it may take upward of a week, however."

"That's all you have to say?"

Gregor raised a hand to the side, expecting more from Lorn as his brows furrowed.

"What else do you expect? With a breach in territory like that, we need you all safe. My canopy only goes as far as the city walls, I can't reach any farther. That's why I couldn't even tell the Bulette was so close. After such an event, I'm surprised people aren't actually panicking more than this."

Lorn reached for her cup, some remnants of tea still filling it. Crossing her legs, Lorn began sipping from the cup.

"So far Gregor and I reassured our people that they'll be well protected. The presence of the guards already patrolling did well for that image, so they have confidence that the city will watch its outskirts... for now at least."

Cressida's response was lacking energy as if Lorn's recommendation was already expected, her body unmoving as she stared forward with a worried expression.

"Was Beryl recovering as well as Vaughn when we left?"

Lorn took the time to ask, doing her best to see to the immediate concerns before further details were discussed.

"Unfortunately... no, she's never experienced mana-exhaustion before. She's probably going to take to fever."

Cressida shook her head, worrying about Beryl's condition.

"All we can do is wait it out, she'll be bed-ridden while her body compensates."

Lorn looked to her cup, then to the window as Cressida explained the situation further. With Cressida's explanation over, there was a pause in activity within the room. The silence was only broken by a now objective-set Lorn.

"First order of business is getting you three resettled, then Gregor. I'll issue an open-announced request so we have the fastest work possible."

"Lady Kiyomi, would you like to re-join your friends?"

Maria asked me as soon as we were headed down the stairwell If I'd wanted to head out.

"Wait, I thought Lorn said to take me to the stay-in quarters?"

Maria smiled at my question, stifling a laugh as we continued to walk along the balcony.

"Aye, Mistress Lorn said so. She also only said to take you there. She did not specify if you were to go afterward, only that I tend to you until your mother returns."

I looked to Maria over my shoulder, thrown off guard by her manipulation of Lorn's words.

So the maid knows how to twist words.

"Be at ease, Lady Kiyomi. If Mistress Lorn truly intended for that to be the case she would have specified. Let's get you cleaned up first, you needn't rejoin your friends in such a mess."

As we passed into the main quarters, Maria was not shy to point out the state of my clothes.

"Ah, y-yeah."

Looking over myself, my tunic and pants were covered in dust and stains both from the clay and stray blood splatter.

"Gather some clothes and I shall take you to the baths Lady Kiyomi."