C9 A talk

Initially, the three grown women in the room assumed what they had all just heard was a weak attempt at a joke to lighten things. But as Kiyomi began to redden and tears suddenly came out, it was proposed that instead of simply escorting Kiyomi that Maria would assist her while Lorn and Hatsumi discussed things. Originally as the attendant to the Revenants, Maria was going to be consulted on a new charge to the household, whether temporary or not. Unfortunately, Lorn would have to discuss it with the Maid later.

After the doors closed behind the little girl that trailed the maid, Lorn relaxed in her chair, reclining back before pulling out a vial of fluid and downing it. After finishing it, she looked to Hatsumi, the relaxed expression gone and replaced with one of purpose.

Hatsumi's Perspective

"When you flicked me with your tail...that hurt quite a lot."

Lorn had said in a very direct and flat tone.

"You were about to blackout. The coffee comment was supposed to be a hint, but I had to take it a bit further."

For nearly a hundred years, Lorn had apparently been suffering from extreme withdrawals after an incident involving this territory. She had set patterns that we'd learned since we had known her. She'd periodically lose consciousness, and for the time being, we couldn't have that being exposed to anyone new. I whipped her calf with my tail from under the table to keep her awake during our entire conversation with Kiyomi.

"*sigh* In that case, thank you. It's getting harder for me to predict by myself."

Lorn brought her elbows to the table and shoved her plate to the side before bringing out an aforementioned "nearly destroyed" book that was, at worst, mildly used.

"What do you think of her freeze up? That nearly lasted five minutes, and her eyes were shifting around something fierce."

"She seemed to have an adverse effect from seeing the food, so it must have been familiar. I've seen it before with adventurers suffering memory loss. It should get less frequent over the next couple of days, then stop altogether.....Did you notice anything while you were with her last night or this morning?"

Lorn asked about Kiyomi's behavior with concern.

"She had rather normal reactions to seeing the guild and a lot of our old hunting trophies. But that's kind of normal to a kid that's never stepped foot in the guild.....but"

I hesitated

"But?"

Lorn raised a brow

"She was screaming and trembling something fierce in her sleep. I don't think she remembers any of it since, at some point, she quieted down and gradually woke up. I pretended to be asleep when she stirred, and the poor thing started nuzzling my tail out of nowhere."