C56 Opening breeze, fading flowers 3

"Hahahaha! She looks adorable!"

Mother squealed, her arms wrapping around me as she began squeezing the air out of my body; as if I were an oversized plush.

"Mama, wa-urk-"

I was currently being lifted into the air thanks to Mother's infatuation with my new wardrobe piece. Looking over it before I was so rudely brought out of the floor's embrace, it was rather eye-catching considering my tastes before.

Wait, why this styling for a little girl?

I couldn't necessarily blame her considering she was proud of her commission as well as how it looked on me. The coat was quite loose, only showing any sign of adjustability through a set of strings located along specific points to allow proper fit for unencumbered movement. The interior was a blended mix of wool and fur that's been dyed either black or a very deep shade of red, wool being primarily on its interior and fur occupying the sleeves, hood, and the seam along the button. The exterior differed in texture greatly. It looked almost synthetic rather than natural; being smooth and holding a strange sheen. Upon closer inspection, it was some form of scaled hide. Its primary coloration was cream, shifting to a darker hue of magenta closer to seems, and the edges of the coat. The buttons were rather bland but form fitting to the theme; consisting of more loops of string, accompanied on the opposite side of the coat by what was either teeth or claw trimmings from a larger monster that were stained a dull brown.

I can't blame her- it does look kinda nice.

"Claire, you outdid yourself!"

Mother twisted her head in the direction of the exhausted seamstress, her ears at attention whilst a smile was plastered across her face.

"Mama, this is kinda uncomfy."

My slightly muffled voice unceremoniously interrupted the mothers mini celebration.

Please... put me down, this feels infantilizing.

Thankfully, my complaint did not fall on ears too occupied to hear them.

"Ah, sorry baby."

Lowering me slowly, Mother looked on once more before exhaling with a prideful smile.

"Those hides weren't easy to come by, the fact that you managed to work with them was even better."

Mother nodded to Claire whilst she returned to her chair, the creak of wood and the shuffling of the padded cloth overtaking her speech momentarily.

"Kiyomi, the outer material of that coat is expensive. I was not exaggerating when I said do NOT damage it."

Mother nodded to Claire, signaling the seamstress. After a moment of distracted sipping, Claire cleared her throat. The sound of congested lungs filled the brunt of the noise as she pounded her chest.

"Apologies, part of the reason for the tea was to help loosen some things up. Ahem."

Claire inhaled before she began, looking at me with a straight expression.

"Kiyomi, Hatsumi and Callum both invested a particular amount of funds into the making of this coat. Please take care to listen, as your Mother says."

Claire awaited a response, refusing to continue without some form of acknowledgement.

"Yes Ma'am..."

Hearing my voice, Claire continued in confidence.

"Do you understand the length of winter?"