C70

"Yep, this is close to what I expecte- urk"

"Enough! What are you doing here Marcus?!"

The muscled body of a fully grown Lamia pressed Graf's throat against a lone redwood, standing just to the edge of the road they'd rested upon. Sophia, a former Centurian within the Imperial legions took immediate notice of Graf, given they'd known each other once before.

"Do you know them, Sophia?"

Hatsumi asked aloud, looking to the former as she cradled Kiyomi up into her arms. Looking from Graf to the other two adventurers, Alick was pinned to the ground by a disheveled and sleepless Stannis, while the Elf, Chessa was flanking Adrian.

"Just this one..."

Sophia hissed through her teeth as she glanced back up at Graf.

"I'll repeat myself, what are you doing here?! And why were our children with you!"

Graf gasped at the air as the muscle pinning him to the tree let up its pressure. Coughing at the reintroduction of air, Graf muttered back.

"I should be asking you the same thing! Weren't you the Legate's little watchdog last we spoke?"

Sophia pressed her tail back against the tree for a few seconds before letting off again. With Graf desperately gasping for air as his teammates watched hopelessly, he answered eagerly.

"Deserted- urk- territories to the west are a bloodbath! Empire struggling there- Legate Caelin was killed! Had to- urk- Had to desert! Was gonna die!"

With Sophia's temper still high, she continued pressing as Graf spoke.

"Kid hired us- GASP- to escort to- to the pass and back!"

Graf clambered to loosen the strain by grabbing onto the tail and attempting to push it away.

"Why is there a collection of Dire wolverines here?"

Sophia allowed her tail to falter, giving Graf room to gather himself.

"She was ambushed when she tried to pick some flowers, we had to hold off the Wolverine that ambushed her cause it was dead set! When we sent her to hide for safety, we didn't anticipate a pack of them! Those things are supposed to be solitary, aren't they? And can you please let me down, we make for better interrogation when we aren't in fear for our lives!"

Graf pleaded.

"What about my daughter and the boy?"

Sophia asked, earning an expression of surprise from Graph.

"Wait- the Bitch of Krava has a dau-"

Graf's exclamation was met with a slap as Sophia rose to meet him at eye level.

"You will NOT refer to me as that in the presence of good company! How did they get here?"

Beryl and Vaughn kept some distance next to Callum as he berated them himself. Standing next to a wagon that undoubtedly hauled Sophia herself along, and meant for the children themselves. Just barely overhearing the questioning, Beryl broke away from Callum's own scolding and spoke out.

"Mother we- I snuck out and dragged Vaughn along! We wanted to make sure Kiyomi was alright!"

Sophia clenched her jaw and looked away from Graf, cursing under her breath.

"Beryl, We'll discuss your involvement in this later."

Sophia looked back up to Graf, awaiting an answer from the Goblin himself.