C84 Winters Crescendo 3

Sure enough, here we were. In line with Vaughn and Beryl's expectations, we stood within a dust-filled arena. It seemed decrepit, its floor covered in layers of rock and soil. Charred wood and marble aligned its walls in a strange mixture as if they were in use far longer than the structure above. Gates made from some kind of metal were spaced evenly apart, five in total. It was expected to be old, but nothing in the city resembled the ornamentation of the marble nor the natural flow of wood grain that mimicked that of a tree that was simply carved out. Amongst it all, the bleachers above were wooden, stone, and marble interspersed with each source of light.

The lamps. They aren't simple crystals encased in metal and glass like those in the streets.

Intricate pillars of spiraling wood grew outward from their marble bases, providing sufficient lighting for the entire space. If its size were put into perspective, we currently stood within a football field-sized arena. All the more astonishing given the lack of pillar support for the structures above. The ceiling was a dome, an intricate spider web of roots and stone pillars melding together. If we weren't there for a purpose, I would have been drawn in by such a fantastical sight. Magic was ever present, but the structure was tangible. Unlike fleeting mana, it stood strong for what must have been millennia.

There's no way this was built by the city. This is like staring at Mediterranean architecture, unfeasible compared to the rest of the area.

All the same, Vaughn seemed to be enraptured by such foreign construction. Being so enamored with creating things like his father, his eye nearly glowed in response to the spectacle. His mouth was agape as he looked upward, his eyes tracing along each detail.

Those are the eyes of someone seeing something awe-inspiring...

I smiled for some reason, a drop of happiness leaked out from the sight alone. Turning to Beryl, she seemed just as enamored with the use of raw Mana crystals. Their integrated use must have astounded her for their source of power alone.

Even with the nightmares... with my old self... seeing these two happy is always a little light I look forward to.

I sighed outwardly, my eyes turning from the two beside me back to the ceiling.

Something is off though.

Then back towards our front, I saw them. Dimly lit at first, until Beryl and Vaughn both zeroed in on the same balcony placed above the bleachers.

So they're all here to watch.

The light from the surrounding crystals grew, illuminating our spectators. Lorn, Callum, Gregor, Sophia, Avery, and lastly Maria.

Are they all assessing us? Or are some of them just watching over us as parents?

We stood looking onward, with bated breath. Anxious about what awaited, we remained silent.

"Open the gates! Enter, all participants!"

Lorn yelled as loud as she could, her voice obviously straining as she stifled a cough near the finish. Nearly in time with the cough, each of the doors surrounding us lifted, save the one directly in front. The loud clanking of metal, creaking of wood, and scratch of stone drowned out any other noise. They continued raising until approximately six meters of clearance to pass underneath.

"It's finally time?"

"They talked these kids up like some kind of prodigies. Better be good."

"C'mon, it's a paycheck to just sit here and heal."

"We're supposed to give emergency backup, but will they really need it?"

"Why hire mercenaries AND adventurers, personally the guild's a little too desperate to keep this group in check."