C65 Opening breeze, fading flowers 12

"So this is it, huh?"

I looked over Adrian's shoulder, peering up at the cliffs that flanked either side of the road ahead of us. Snow powdered the ground lightly, and the thick undergrowth we'd seen hours before opened up from the redwoods to display a pair of mossy, snow-tipped crags. Through them traveled a road, with what looked like a few makeshift shacks littering its entrance.

"The shelters should all be empty, used as an emergency shelter if the snow gets too bad to continue through either direction. There's more within the pass and on the other end."

Graf said aloud as he peered to the north of the entrance.

"Going off of memory, those flowers should be that way. There are bushels of them tucked in between boulders and such. Probably along some caves as well. If we follow along our level now we shouldn't have to walk up much."

Graf turned to the side from his place on Alick's back.

"Any conflicts with the hired help?"

Somehow I feel his asking isn't necessary, but to hell with it.

"You're the professionals here. Not me."

I responded honestly, if I gave a smart-ass answer it could have brought on unnecessary bickering. Thankfully, while I was a lot more impulsive thanks to Kiyomi, I wasn't full of myself enough to ignore someone's experience.

One of the first mistakes in an operation, is when moving on the fly, to ignore the advice or input of those more experienced. I'll always remember that... I won't make the same mistake that they did then.

I thought back, reminding myself of my experience on earth just to remember myself being here was a result of doing that exact thing.

I should really apologize to Mother after this, she must be worried sick. Probably trying to find me right now... I hope these three don't get in too much trouble, they're good people.

I shook my head, pushing away the thought of reality.

Focus, we're close to our objective.

"Maybe you could walk the rest of the way?"

Adrian asked, letting me down.

"Oh yeah, I should be fine. Thanks again."

With the party moving forward, Graf and Alick took point, with me next to Adrian. Walking for what seemed like another hour, the smooth ground along the crags built up until we reached a spur. Slowly built up with boulders, rocks, and loose earth; it forced our party to slow our ascent.

This stuff looks tough, but there's enough greenery here. Could this be a good spot to search?

"Think this is it?"

Alick turned around, yelling to Adrian and myself from higher along the spur.

"Maybe, I wanna head up a little higher myself. Is that fine?"

Yelling back, I began walking up to Graf and Alick's position.

"Sure, we'll start checking lower along the ridge here."

With that, our search began.

Hopefully, this search is easier than I think it'll be.

It was beginning to approach late afternoon by the time I'd made my way along the top of the spur before it terminated into a crag. Each step was Turing since I lifted my whole over everything I wanted to move from boulder to boulder. With the rocks being so spaced yet also so close, I ran the risk of skipping and getting stuck if I wasn't careful.