C37

"Okay, Beryl, after I perform the cut, follow along like this."

Hatsumi guided her hand along one of the chicken's breasts, bringing attention to a specific point.

"I'm going to puncture the chicken's lung and make two separate lacerations. You need to focus solely on healing the punctured lung first; otherwise, the chicken will die."

After finishing her direction, she focused her gaze on the face of the adolescent Lamia. She was hesitating, clearly conflicted with what they were about to begin. Hatsumi explained before they'd started that it wouldn't simply be one wound. They would go over at least half a dozen types of injury.

"Beryl... Beryl."

Hatsumi nudged the girl, who was staring at the animal pinned under her hand. Beryl gulped nervously before looking back up to meet Hatsumi's eyes.

"Beryl, before we start this, I need to know if you ARE ready."

Hatsumi said, her expression stern.

I can guide her, but all the same, if I force her, then she'll fail.

Hatsumi thought, awaiting some form of confirmation. After a moment of waiting, Beryl swallowed once more before looking to Hatsumi and nodding.

"I'm ready."

Beryl, appearing to have steeled herself for what was to come, answered flatly. Nodding in response, Hatsumi brought out a steel needle, a throwing weapon given to her as a decoration that she kept on hand for its utility.

"You two.-"

Hatsumi grabbed the attention of her daughter, Kiyomi, and the third party member, Vaughn.

"This is just as much for your confidence as it is hers. With developed faith in your healer, you should be able to act with more confidence in almost any situation."

The two other children nodded, focusing intently, albeit with a level of obvious distaste nearly on par with Beryl's own.

"Okay, I will start with the laceration first. To give you a better chance, the puncture will occur last."

Hatsumi said, looking back to Beryl. With another nod from Beryl, Hatsumi began her work. Using her claws as she did with her own hand, she made two randomly placed lacerations on the chicken's body. The animal weakly attempted to struggle, unable to fight back against the greater strength, nor its rope bonds. Blood began running down the bird's feathers, prompting a reaction from Beryl, who attempted to reach forth and begin her work before being stopped.

"I'll make the puncture now..."

Hatsumi signaled, now readying the needle along the bird's spine, aiming just to its side. With a swift movement, Hatsumi plunged the needle through the back and into the chicken's lungs. The animal convulsed once before falling limp, its own wounds already beginning to overtake it. Everyone flinched as Hatsumi yanked the needle free, startled at the animal's reaction, and the small trail of blood that followed.

"Now, Beryl, put what we discussed to practice."

Hatsumi ordered, now staring intently at the girl.

"Y-yes, ma'am!"

Beryl responded weakly, bringing her hands forward quickly and steadying them just over the wound. She began to sweat nervously as mana flowed forth from her hands, struggling to focus and maintain concentration on just the puncture itself. After a few moments, the chicken began struggling once more, even letting loose a few brief clucks.