C42 Paper plans and building blocks 1

"For real, though, anywhere we going in particular, Kiyomi?"

Vaughn was asking as I pulled him along; I hadn't really had a destination in mind for the time being, unfortunately. I didn't even expect to see him today, so I don't even have the baseball prototype on me. All that I had was the clothes on my back and my sword, considering I had no one to leave it with at home.

"I'm not sure... for now."

Slowing down, I realized my tail was still wrapped around Vaughn's wrist and released it. It left a strange feeling of awkwardness the longer I held it, so it was for the best.

"I just felt that things were tense between Lorn and your father... Actually, this was a surprise to me. I guess we could do stuff you want to do?"

I turned around and continued along the road as I walked backward, my arms folded behind my head as I did so.

"Wait, you weren't supposed to be here?"

Vaughn asked, strolling along at the same pace next to me.

"Mhmm, Miss Lorn told me to tell Mama I was studying the whole time. Miss Lorn's letting me play hooky."

"Hooky?"

Vaughn was confused with the slang, raising a brow.

"Eeeh, forget it. It just means to skip out on what you should be doing."

"So there's really no plan, huh?"

Vaughn asked, a smile creeping onto his face. Seemingly pleased that he had more sway in what would be pursued. I nodded in response.

"Well, Pa's meeting with Miss Lorn is supposed to take the rest of the day. Want to spend it with me? I can show you what I get up to most of the time."

Vaughn was definitely pleased with himself, considering his poor attempt at concealing his excitement.

"Are we gonna get Beryl? I imagine she'd like to spend some time with us too."

Vaughn's expression shifted slightly at mentioning her.

"She's learning magic with her mother's right now. Even if she was, I was kinda hoping for us two to spend time together."

Vaughn trailed off near the back end of his response, as if not wanting to say it where I could actually hear it.

"You act enough like a guy that I wanted to just hang out with you."

I was confused at Vaughn's words for just a moment before feeling strangely flustered.

Wait, does he just want attention? Does he just want to do stuff together? Calm down! Calme down, don't overthink it. You're one of only two people he can do stuff with. It's reasonable. Also, dude, don't call a girl 'one of the guys.' That's a quick way to ruin your chances at finding a girl!

"Haaah, I guess we can. So what is it you normally do?"

Vaughn smiled at my approval, appearing to hold in his reaction.

"Well, aside from helping Pa with his drafting, when you two aren't around, I explore the small wooded section just next to the wall. Where we played catch, remember it?"

"Hah? Yeah, I remember; why?"

I turned back around to walk alongside Vaughn; I could only maintain enough attention on the conversation and walk like I was.

"Well, the other day, I was walking and came across some old ruin."

"A ruin?"

I was confused by Vaughn's words some, as I'd been in those exact woods at least a handful of times, and I don't think I've ever seen any kind of structure in them. My brows were furrowing with his words, almost doubting him.