C35

"Kiyomi, stop shifting around!"

Mother berated me as she flicked one of my horns.

"Ah! That hurts! At least flick my ear! Or head! Or anywhere! Just- can you stop flicking my horns?!"

I tried looking back to complain before she grabbed hold of the base of one of my horns and held my head forward.

"No, Kiyomi, it gets the message through, and your ears are more sensitive than you think. Now, stay still. I'm trying my best to treat your hair."

"Ugh, fine..."

Tonight's games had gone well, and I'd parted ways with Beryl and Vaughn as the evening drew closer. After the two dropped me off, Maria pointed out the stains on my skin from the dirt and blood that had gotten on me from the earlier scuffles. Taking me to bathe, somewhere along the way, Mother decided to 'treat' my hair. This was a mix of oils and minerals that were fairly popular in strengthening hair and preventing lice. Mother was attempting to be careful, as she'd gotten a particular blend that smelled oddly similar to pomegranate; she was cautious in application because it came in two parts. 

"Your hair's nowhere near where it was when I first cut it still, but it's growing."

I could feel Mother loosely hold out a strand as she looked it over.

"How long was it before? I don't really remember too well..."

When I thought back to the time, while it was just barely two years, I could not remember how long my hair really was. Having it cut to just above shoulder length did help with my internal image of myself, at least. 

"Hmmm, it was around your lower back... maybe your waist? That ponytail kept it secure until I cut it. Looking at how it is now, it's nearly at your mid-back. A few more years and you should be the same length it was when we found you."

Maybe I should let it keep going? I need to start conditioning myself... yeah, let's start there. 

"I think I'd like that... "

"Oh?"

"I... I think it will look cute?"

My expression on wanting to try and guide my appearance apparently piqued Mother's interest; looking over my shoulder, I caught a glimpse of her smiling. 

"Hmm, so thinking of someone?"

What is that smug fucking smirk supposed to be?!

Her smile turned into a sly smirk as if she thought of a reason for the sudden interest in my own appearance.

"Mama, I wanna feel more confident! Nothing else!"