C87 Winters Crescendo 6

"Mother..."

Beryl spoke, shifting awkwardly.

"By the gods', I never thought I'd see the day!"

Cressida fitted her daughter in an older robe she'd been holding on to for nearly fifteen years at this point. She was attempting to fit it onto a frame just a few hairs smaller than its original wearer.

"Our Beryl, already choosing her class! Have you given it any thought? Two of your starting classes are mage and cleric. Cleric? No, no, no, you'd be tracked down by any lord looking to recruit a sufficient ward. Mage then, I heard you mumbling about it with Vaughn before. I could teach you more branches of magic if you want. In the legions, the more branches of magic, the more you could adapt!"

Sophia continued her rambling whilst preparing dinner in the background, the aroma of vegetables boiling in stock overwhelming the room.

"I know right? And she was an egg nearly thirteen suns ago!"

Cressida said with a smile, joy overwhelming her voice.

"Ah!"

Sophia nearly dropped a wooden spoon into a pot of stew as she gasped.

"We need to start preparing her some adventuring kit! It'll be alright to have everything prepped, right? The sooner the safer, but what will the other parents think? Are we being too carefree?"

Sophia lowered the intensity of the mana-generated fire to a slow simmer.

"Beryl, we need to get you fitted for a tail harness."

"Mother."

"I understand it'll probably be uncomfortable, but it'll allow you to carry more-"

"Mother.."

Sophia took a step back smacking herself in the forehead.

"Will we both continue training her? Should we hire a tutor to help keep us from smothering her learning experience? Or should we leave it to-"

Beryl felt her frustration coming to a head, unable to remain patient.

"Mom! Would you calm down?!"

Beryl yelled in a sudden outburst of frustration.

"Miss Hatsumi is a great teacher, so I think I'd like to stay with her. She was the Lord's war mage, was she not?"

Beryl looked to Cressida.

"You two were trained together too. With both of you, I don't think I'd have an issue at all. But-"

Beryl looked at Sophia for a moment before returning her gaze to the ground.

"Choosing mage...I'd thought about being one like both of you, Mama Sophie. But Miss Hatsumi was the city's lead War-mage. I could follow in her footsteps..."

Beryl raised her hands slightly, looking at her palms, then at a chest at the corner of the room.

"I've overheard you when you fighting with that one guard captain, with Miss Lorn, with Mister Gregor... I've heard about the preparations..."

Beryl silenced the room with her words. Beryl was showing on full display her perceptive abilities.

"Beryl, those are merely preparations... We don't want what happened before-"

Beryl forced a smile, silencing any worries Sophia had.

"I know. I'm just doing what the eldest should do. I'm thinking ahead."