C63 Opening breeze, fading flowers 10

"Listen, Beryl, we have to keep moving!"

A younger Vaughn pleaded to his friend as she looked down at blood-covered hands. In truth, half of Beryl's length was covered in blood. Vaughn just watched her crush one of their attackers to death on instinct. The girl for all intensive purposes was in emotional shock, but not for that reason. Vaughn looked down at a gruesome scene. Two strangely mutated men, and the bisected body of their friend lay before them. Vaughn was just in time to run one through with a spear, but the other-

We were too late...

"Aisha-"

Beryl moved towards her friend, calling out to her.

"Beryl, she's gone. We have to get to your Ma's, now!"

Vaughn grabbed Beryl's arm, pulling the distraught Lamia towards him.

"We have to go no-"

"There's more here!"

Vaughn was cut short by voices just outside the house they were in.

"Crap. Beryl, look at me."

Vaughn grabbed Beryl by both arms and forced her to face him.

"Nod if you understand me!"

Beryl nodded faintly, unable to even whimper.

"You need to run, I can distract them. But you need to promise me that I'll see you with your Ma at the wagons! Do you understand?!"

Once more, Beryl nodded faintly.

"Go!"

"There's two here- you little curs!"

"Beryl, go!"

Vaughn pushed Beryl out of the way as a sword swung through where they'd been standing. With Vaughns's demand, Beryl turned and slithered as fast as she could. As she ran through the house, heavy thuds could be heard echoing against the structure. Both from her own sizable body, and what she assumed was Vaughn running throughout the house as he distracted whoever chased them.

Please, don't leave me too, Vaughn.

The thought repeated itself until she slammed through the door to the rear of the house that led to an alleyway.

I've gotta find Mamma!

"Vaughn! Helloooo! Dangit, is he not here?"

Beryl stood outside the house that should've been Vaughn's temporary home.

"Va-"

The door Beryl had been knocking and calling through opened suddenly, cutting her short.

"Would you quiet down? Pa's asleep and they've been workin him ragged."

Vaughn was in his night clothes and rubbing his eyes, obviously just roused out of bed.

"Kiyomi just left with some adventurers!"

Beryl whispered, a hint of panic in her tone.

"Hmm? Wait, slow down. What?"

Vaughn looked to Beryl, confused suddenly.

"It wasn't her Ma's team?"

"No, it was some random trio passed out at one of the tables at the guild."

"Ya sure she's goin with'em?

Vaughn asked, his brow raised at Beryl's matter-a-fact tone.

"I'm sure, she had her sword and satchel and everything."