Chapter 57

December 15, 2004

"We decided a wedding date," Hailey says as we pull into the bridal store parking lot. 

"You've been saying that the whole drive," I roll my eyes. "Would you like to tell me when it is or shall I keep guessing and stick this fork down my throat so I don't have to keep speaking?"

"Jesus fucking Christ!" Hailey takes the keys out of the ignition and gets out of the car, so I follow her lead and we begin to walk towards the building. "It's going to be in June of next year. June 22. Anyway, I need to tell you something and you need to listen to me."

I prop my hands on my hips to remind her who's older. 

Ever since we were younger and she wanted to talk to me very seriously, she would always start off by saying, "I need to tell you something and you need to listen to me". It always cracks me up how hard she tries to act more mature than me. 

"What is it, Hailey?" I smile at her as we pause before walking through the doors, just to taunt her. 

"I already sent out the invitations, Larissa," She puts a serious face on. "I already gave the wedding date out to you, yet you still asked me what is was. I mailed you a wedding invitation, so I don't know if you didn't get the invitation or if you've just been ignoring it or--"

"Hailey, calm down," I say. "I didn't ignore it; I just haven't checked my mail yet. When did you send it?"

"Yesterday."

"Goddamn it, Hailey," I laugh. "I'll look at it when I get home."

She walks inside of the store and I follow her, surprised by how fast she went inside. 

I'm excited for her and the fact that she's actually having a wedding. She's wanted this for herself her whole life and now she finally got it. 

Even though she's younger, I know that she's going to do well with this marriage. I have a feeling that they're going to last for a while--probably for the rest of their lives, but I wouldn't want to jinx anything for her. 

I've never been inside of a bridal store before--I've had no need to. The last wedding I went to was Axl's and that was over three years ago...I think.

It's surprising that now I'm going to be in a wedding party. Hailey called me a couple days after she got engaged and confirmed if I would be her maid of honor. Of course I said yes. I would never want to let my sister down. 

Hailey means the most to me in this whole world. I would sacrifice everything for her. She has the purest soul and the kindest heart. She's full of beauty inside and out. 

I used to be jealous of her beauty, but then as I matured, I realized that I had beauty of my own, just in a different way than hers. Hers was more pure and innocent, while mine was more...whorish and sexy and hot. 

At times I see myself as beautiful, but most of the time, it's just hot. 

"Okay, the bridesmaid dresses are purple--a color called tahiti," Hailey says and leads me to the back of the store. "You would know that if you looked at the invitation. Anyway, as my maid of honor, I wanted to be with you as you pick out a dress because I want to make sure it looks good."

I furrow my eyebrows at her. "Are you saying that I have bad taste in dresses?"

"Larissa, the last dress you wore was that devil costume dress."

"That was for Halloween, Hailey. I don't wear dresses."

She takes me to the aisle that has all purple dresses. It's nice to see that the store organizes the dresses by color; it makes it easier to find what you need.